Crosby's 4 RBIs Leads Gary to 6-5 Victory and Series Sweep
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - A four-RBI night from Alex Crosby, including a three-run home run, led the RailCats to their fourth consecutive victory and sixth series sweep with Friday's 6-5 win over the Sioux Falls Canaries in the final regular-season road game of the season. Gary finished their final regular-season road trip 4-1 and are now tied with St. Paul for first place in the North Division after the Saints fell to the Chicago Dogs, 7-5, on Friday.
Sioux Falls (39-58) took a 2-0 lead with a pair of two-out runs in the first. Back-to-back one-out singles from Mike Hart and David Bergin gave the Canaries runners on first and second before Jabari Henry moved both baserunners in scoring position with a groundout to first. Patrick Fiala followed Henry with a two-out, two-run single through the left side of the infield, plating both Hart and Bergin.
Gary (57-40) quickly countered with three two-out runs in the second. Garrett Copeland started the frame with a two-out, four-pitch walk before advancing to second on K.C. Huth's opposite-field single to right. D.K. Carey then got Gary on the board with an RBI single to right before Ronnie Mitchell tied the game with an RBI single to left. Crosby followed Mitchell with an RBI double down into the left field corner, scoring Carey for the final run of the inning.
The RailCats increased their lead to 6-2 with three more runs in the fourth. Carey doubled with one out to right-center before Tillman Pugh drew a walk after replacing Mitchell as the designated hitter. Pugh's walk was his first plate appearance of the series and extended his on-base streak to 39 games, tying him with Sioux City's Jay Austin for the longest consecutive on-base streak in the American Association this year. Crosby followed Pugh with a three-run home run to right for his sixth home run of the year. Crosby's home run was also the RailCats fourth of this five-game road trip.
The Canaries cut the Gary lead to 6-5 with three runs in the eighth. Hart was hit in the back to begin the inning before Bergin reached on a fielding error by Copeland at second, giving Sioux Falls runners on the corners. Henry then reached on a catching error by Randy Santiesteban at shortstop, allowing Hart to score from third. Fiala then drew a walk before Jordan Dean brought home Bergin and Henry with two-run double to right-center.
Sioux Falls put the tying run on second base with two outs in the bottom of the ninth put Adam Quintana (11) struck out Fiala to secure the win with the six-out save. The right-hander yielded one hit, walked and hit a batter and struck out four over two shutout innings. Myles Smith (4-1) recorded the win with two scoreless innings out of the bullpen while Jake Esch (8-6) was tagged with his second loss in his fourth start against Gary. The former MLB pitcher went six innings, allowing six runs on nine hits, three walks and three strikeouts.
Gary returns home to U.S. Steel Yard on Saturday, September 1st for the final three regular-season games of the year against Kansas City. The T-Bones send RHP Hunter Adkins (6-6, 3.97) to the mound in the series opener while the RailCats have yet to announce their starter. Saturday is Oktoberfest, presented by Berey Bros., and is a special 4:10 p.m. start time vs. the Kansas City T-Bones. Saturday's series opener also features Kids the Run the Bases and is another Signature Saturday, courtesy of AccessAbilities, Inc.
Jared Shlensky and Brennan Mense bring you all 100 RailCats game this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 31, 2018
- Goldeyes Sweep RedHawks & Dominate in Season Closer at Shaw Park - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- AirHogs Swept in Sioux City, Head to Texas to Wrap 2018 - Texas AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saltdogs Rally to Win Home Finale - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Birds Comeback Falls Short in Home Finale - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Explorers Pick up 70th Win of Season - Sioux City Explorers
- Railroaders Swept in Lincoln - Cleburne Railroaders
- Saints Lose Lead Late, Drop into Tie for First with Three Games Left - St. Paul Saints
- Crosby's 4 RBIs Leads Gary to 6-5 Victory and Series Sweep - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Eight-Run Fourth Dooms Wichita - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Closing in on Post-Season Play; Defeat Wichita 12-6 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Dogs to Host Gold Glove Charities Event Benefitting Children Fighting Cancer - Chicago Dogs
- Kansas City T-Bones Baseball Club to Seek New Local Ownership - Kansas City T-Bones
- Collier Heads into the Record Book in 6-0 Win - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats Season Pass Offers Unlimited Fun in All-New General Admission Seat
- RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0
- Lubking, De Jesus Lead 'Cats to 3-1 Victory over Saltdogs in Penultimate Game
- Griffin, Bullpen Blank Saltdogs,2-0, in Series Opener
- RailCats Swept by Goldeyes in Final Road Game of Season