AirHogs Swept in Sioux City, Head to Texas to Wrap 2018
SIOUX CITY, Iowa - The Texas AirHogs dropped the finale in Sioux City Friday, falling to the South Division champion Explorers 14-3. Texas heads to Cleburne Saturday at 7:06 p.m. to open a three-game split series that will complete the 2018 campaign.
The AirHogs jumped on X's starter Ian McKinney early, scoring three times over the game's first inning and a half to open a 3-0 lead. Stewart Ijames scored twice and picked up an early RBI to pace the effort. Cao Jie added an RBI as well.
The lead would not last though, as the Explorers evened the game with three runs in the bottom of the second before scoring ten runs from the third through the fifth to open an insurmountable advantage. Miguel Rosario (2-12) suffered the loss after allowing nine runs (eight earned) over 4.2 innings of work. Ryan Flores (8-2) earned the win for the X's after McKinney lasted just four frames.
Sioux City was led by Nate Samson, who three hits to go to 11 total for the three-game series. Jay Baum, Daniel Jackson and Dean Green all went deep for the home team, which became the fifth squad in American Association history to reach 70 wins in a single season.
Texas (25-72) travels to Cleburne (30-66) to open a three-game split series Saturday. First pitch at The Depot is slated for 7:06 p.m. Starters for both teams are TBA. A live stream of the game will be available at mixlr.com/TXAirHogs.
The AirHogs - powered by Beijing Shougang Eagles will play their final home game of the season September 2 vs. Cleburne. The home finale will be Fan Appreciation Night at AirHogs Stadium. Visit AirHogsBaseball.com for more information on tickets. For the latest news, follow the team on Twitter and Facebook @TXAirHogs.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 31, 2018
- Goldeyes Sweep RedHawks & Dominate in Season Closer at Shaw Park - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- AirHogs Swept in Sioux City, Head to Texas to Wrap 2018 - Texas AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saltdogs Rally to Win Home Finale - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Birds Comeback Falls Short in Home Finale - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Explorers Pick up 70th Win of Season - Sioux City Explorers
- Railroaders Swept in Lincoln - Cleburne Railroaders
- Saints Lose Lead Late, Drop into Tie for First with Three Games Left - St. Paul Saints
- Crosby's 4 RBIs Leads Gary to 6-5 Victory and Series Sweep - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Eight-Run Fourth Dooms Wichita - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Closing in on Post-Season Play; Defeat Wichita 12-6 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Dogs to Host Gold Glove Charities Event Benefitting Children Fighting Cancer - Chicago Dogs
- Kansas City T-Bones Baseball Club to Seek New Local Ownership - Kansas City T-Bones
- Collier Heads into the Record Book in 6-0 Win - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.