Railroaders Swept in Lincoln
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Justin Byrd went 2-for-5 with a pair of RBI, but Cleburne let a late lead slip away in a 4-3 loss to the Lincoln Saltdogs at Haymarket Park on Friday night.
Byrd drove in a couple of early runs and Cleburne scored first for the third straight night, but Patrick Young surrendered a pair of runs in the 8th inning to give Lincoln a 4-3 lead - its first lead of the night and one it wouldn't lose.
Cleburne starter Patrick Mincey gave up just two runs on a season-low three hits with no walks and a pair of strikeouts, while Tyler Wilson worked a scoreless 7th inning before Young gave up the two runs in the 8th.
Byrd opened the scoring with an RBI groundout - his first RBI as a Railroader - in the 1st inning before Dustin Williams drove in his first career RBI with a two-out single to make it 2-0.
Cleburne extended the lead in the 2nd inning when Byrd knocked a two-out single that scored Alex Polston and made it 3-0.
The Saltdogs battled back for two runs in the 5th on Ivan Marin's two-run single that cut the Cleburne lead to one.
The 'Dogs then tied the game in the 8th inning after Randolph Oduber's game-tying double down the left-field line. Oduber advanced to third on a throw home and later scored the go-ahead run on Curt Smith's sacrifice fly.
Polston went 1-for-4 with a run scored, and Paul Ludden collected his second-career American Association hit. Patrick Palmeiro also posted a two-hit night.
Cleburne was swept for the 9th time in a series this year, and went 0-5 on the final roadtrip of the year.
The Railroaders now return home for the final series of 2018 - a home-home-and-home set with the Texas AirHogs beginning Saturday night at The Depot. First pitch time is set for 7:06 p.m., and RHP Daniel Williams will throw for Cleburne.
Cleburne has just two home games remaining - Sept. 1 and Sept. 3 - and all ticket/promotional information can be found at www.railroaderbaseball.com or by calling (817) 945-8705.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 31, 2018
- Goldeyes Sweep RedHawks & Dominate in Season Closer at Shaw Park - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- AirHogs Swept in Sioux City, Head to Texas to Wrap 2018 - Texas AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saltdogs Rally to Win Home Finale - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Birds Comeback Falls Short in Home Finale - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Explorers Pick up 70th Win of Season - Sioux City Explorers
- Railroaders Swept in Lincoln - Cleburne Railroaders
- Saints Lose Lead Late, Drop into Tie for First with Three Games Left - St. Paul Saints
- Crosby's 4 RBIs Leads Gary to 6-5 Victory and Series Sweep - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Eight-Run Fourth Dooms Wichita - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Closing in on Post-Season Play; Defeat Wichita 12-6 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Dogs to Host Gold Glove Charities Event Benefitting Children Fighting Cancer - Chicago Dogs
- Kansas City T-Bones Baseball Club to Seek New Local Ownership - Kansas City T-Bones
- Collier Heads into the Record Book in 6-0 Win - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.