Switchbacks FC Drop Result Behind Late Monarchs Goal
Colorado Springs, CO - The Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC lost 2-1 after a stoppage-time goal in the rematch against the Real Monarchs SLC.
Both teams traded opportunities in the early stages of the game with the best chance falling to the foot of Switchbacks forward, Austin Dewing, who created his own space and fired a shot that was saved by James Slayton. The Switchbacks had another opportunity to take the lead from a free-kick when Arturo Diz Pe rose up to head his effort on target but Slayton managed to make the save into the crossbar. Ten minutes till halftime, Jack Blake put the Monarchs in the lead by placing his penalty kick into the bottom corner.
The Switchbacks had the opportunity to equalize in the second half after Aidan Daniels was pulled down in the box to earn a penalty. George Lebese stepped up and calmly slotted the penalty into the bottom corner, sending Slayton the wrong direction for his first goal with the Switchbacks. The Real Monarchs took all three points as Taylor Peay turned in a redirected free-kick three minutes into stoppage time.
"We're trying to build, and we put together, what, a 90-minute performance tonight, and not a 95-minute performance," said Switchbacks Head Coach, Alan Koch. "So we're pushing, but the biggest word I would say is 'concentration'. Concentration in the minor details when we're attacking, but also concentration when we're defending."
The Switchbacks will be on the road next to face El Paso Locomotive FC at Southwest University Park on August 8th and New Mexico United on August 15th before returning to Weidner Field to take on El Paso on August 22nd.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 1, 2020
- San Diego Plays to Scoreless Tie against Sacramento Republic FC - San Diego Loyal
- Austin Bold FC End Saturday Night with 2-4 Defeat against San Antonio FC - Austin Bold FC
- Charlotte Independence Announce Fans Will Not be Permitted at First Two Home Matches in August - Charlotte Independence
- Switchbacks FC Drop Result Behind Late Monarchs Goal - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- San Antonio FC Stays Unbeaten After 4-2 Win over Austin Bold FC - San Antonio FC
- STLFC Falls 1-0 Away to Memphis 901 FC - Saint Louis FC
- Real Monarchs Earn First Win of 2020 Season - Real Monarchs SLC
- Hounds Roll Union II, 4-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Craig and Sullivan make their first-ever starts with Sorenson making his USL Championship debut as Union II falls to new Group F leaders - Philadelphia Union II
- Indy Eleven Suffers Rare Home Defeat via 0-1 Loss to Sporting Kansas City II - Indy Eleven
- Energy FC Drops First Match Since Restart, 0-3 to New Mexico. - OKC Energy FC
- North Carolina FC Tops Birmingham Legion FC 1-0 to Earn First Win of 2020 - North Carolina FC
- Legion FC Drops First Match of the Season - Birmingham Legion FC
- Rising FC Hosts El Paso Tonight on CW61 Arizona & ESPN+ at 7:30 PM - Phoenix Rising FC
- STLFC Approved to Continue Operating at Under 25% Capacity - Saint Louis FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC Stories
- Switchbacks FC Sign US World Cup Veteran Jose Francisco Torres
- Switchbacks FC Re-Sign Austin Dewing
- Switchbacks FC Re-Sign George Lebese
- Switchbacks FC Sign Steven Echevarria
- Alan Koch Steps Down as Head Coach of Switchbacks FC