San Diego Plays to Scoreless Tie against Sacramento Republic FC
San Diego, Calif. (Aug. 1, 2020) - San Diego Loyal SC (SD Loyal) earns points for the second-straight home match with a scoreless tie against Sacramento Republic FC Saturday at USD Torero Stadium.
Coach Landon Donovan's team adds a point in the Group B standings after facing the team from the State Capitol, reaching 11 points with a 3-1-2 record. The tie came in a tight match that featured both teams looking to figure each other out early on. SD Loyal controlled possession for most of the match, creating a handful of dangerous plays but could not find the final touch and strike to find the net.
It was Sacramento Republic FC (1-1-3, 6 points) who began to move its lines up and created a scoring chance. Cam Iwasa sent a quick header off a long volley near the right post, but SD Loyal goalkeeper Jon Kempin made the point-blank save in the 29th minute.
SD Loyal put on some pressure late in the first half. Jack Metcalf got a shot from inside the penalty box in the 44th minute but it was blocked by Sacramento Republic FC goalkeeper Rafael Diaz from his knees. Tumi Moshobane then tried a low rolling left-footed shot a minute later but Diaz was there to dive on the ball for another save.
Sacramento, the team SD Loyal President Warren Smith co-founded and help clinch an MLS expansion for 2022, came out trying to spark an attack early in the second half. Sam Werner sent a header just wide of the left post in the 50th minute off a cross by Kharlton Belmar.
This was SD Loyal's second-consecutive home match. It was supposed to face LA Galaxy II last Wednesday in a midweek match. It traveled to Carson, Calif. only to find out the match had been postponed. The match was postponed after covered individuals scheduled to be involved in the match tested positive for COVID-19, as part of weekly routine testing. It was also an out of group match as Sacramento Republic sits in second place in the Group A standings.
SD Loyal is now slated to head on the road to face Las Vegas Lights FC Saturday Aug. 8 at Cashman Field in a Group B match.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 1, 2020
- San Diego Plays to Scoreless Tie against Sacramento Republic FC - San Diego Loyal
- Austin Bold FC End Saturday Night with 2-4 Defeat against San Antonio FC - Austin Bold FC
- Charlotte Independence Announce Fans Will Not be Permitted at First Two Home Matches in August - Charlotte Independence
- Switchbacks FC Drop Result Behind Late Monarchs Goal - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- San Antonio FC Stays Unbeaten After 4-2 Win over Austin Bold FC - San Antonio FC
- STLFC Falls 1-0 Away to Memphis 901 FC - Saint Louis FC
- Real Monarchs Earn First Win of 2020 Season - Real Monarchs SLC
- Hounds Roll Union II, 4-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Craig and Sullivan make their first-ever starts with Sorenson making his USL Championship debut as Union II falls to new Group F leaders - Philadelphia Union II
- Indy Eleven Suffers Rare Home Defeat via 0-1 Loss to Sporting Kansas City II - Indy Eleven
- Energy FC Drops First Match Since Restart, 0-3 to New Mexico. - OKC Energy FC
- North Carolina FC Tops Birmingham Legion FC 1-0 to Earn First Win of 2020 - North Carolina FC
- Legion FC Drops First Match of the Season - Birmingham Legion FC
- Rising FC Hosts El Paso Tonight on CW61 Arizona & ESPN+ at 7:30 PM - Phoenix Rising FC
- STLFC Approved to Continue Operating at Under 25% Capacity - Saint Louis FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Loyal Stories
- Black Lives Matter Game Worn Loyal Jersey Auction for AAAE
- SD Loyal Forfeits Match After Homophobic Slur Is Used by Phoenix Rising FC Player
- SD Loyal Faces Phoenix Rising FC in the Final Home Match of the Regular Season
- SD Loyal Forfeits Match Played on September 23 against LA Galaxy II Following Racist Remark
- SD Loyal Adds a Point with a 1-1 Draw at LA Galaxy II in Group B Play