North Carolina FC Tops Birmingham Legion FC 1-0 to Earn First Win of 2020
Cary, NC - North Carolina FC defeated Birmingham Legion FC by a score of 1-0 at WakeMed Soccer Park on Saturday night, earning their first win of the 2020 season and bringing their record to 1-1-1. Dre Fortune recorded the goal for NCFC, his second this season.
NCFC created several scoring opportunities and continually pressed Birmingham's defense as the first half wore on. In the 23rd minute, Robert Kristo sent a through ball to DJ Taylor who was sprinting towards the box. Taylor received the ball at his feet, firing a dangerous shot just over the crossbar.
Later, in the 33rd minute, a red card was shown to Birmingham midfielder Bolu Akinyode after tripping up Steven Miller and halting an NCFC breakaway in the process.
After ending the first half deadlocked at 0-0, both teams entered the second half eager to get on the board. Finally, in the 51st minute, NCFC received a scoring chance when Taylor received a pass just inside the eighteen, turning on the ball to thread a cross back towards the penalty spot. Fortune received Taylor's cross just inside the box, ripping a shot past Birmingham goalkeeper Matt Van Oekel to put NCFC up 1-0.
"I've been training that finish for as long as I can remember," Fortune said of his goal in a postgame interview. "We're happy to come away with the three points in the end and I'm happy to help the team win."
NCFC continued to build on their momentum in the 79th minute when defender Sam Brotherton buried a shot into the far left corner of the net. However, after a conversation amongst the referees, Brotherton was rendered offsides and the goal was called back.
"I think the fight, determination, and competitiveness is there," said NCFC head coach Dave Sarachan. "Overall, I'm fairly pleased. I thought the guys did a good job of supporting each other."
- Between both teams, four yellow cards and one red card were administered during the match.
- Dre Fortune scored his second goal of the season.
- Akeem Ward recorded his first start of the 2020 season.
- NCFC outshot Birmingham Legion FC 20-2.
Looking Ahead: North Carolina FC will travel to face Memphis 901 FC on Saturday, August 8 at 5 p.m. ET at Autozone Park in Memphis, Tennessee.
NC (4-5-1): Alex Tambakis; Sam Brotherton, Conor Donovan, DJ Taylor, Akeem Ward; Manny Perez (Ben Speas, 63') , Pecka, Dre Fortune (Daniele Proch, 90'), Steven Miller © (Graham Smith, 89'), Hadji Barry; Robbert Kristo
Subs Not Used: Alex Comsia, Malik Mbaye, Paolo Pita, Luke Hille
BHM (4-4-2): Matt VanOekel ©; Mikey Lopez, Jake Rufe, Alex Crognale, Jonathan Dean; Bolu Akinyode, Anderson Asiedu, Bruno Lapa (Jaden Servania, 80'), Daigo Kobayashi (Marcos Ugarte, 63'), Brian Wright (Rudolf Mensah, 63'); Neco Brett (Eli Crognale, 45')
Subs Not Used: Trevor Spangenberg, Braxton Najib
NC: Dre Fortune (DJ Taylor, 51')
NC: Conor Donovan (29'), Robert Kristo (87'), Dre Fortune (90')
BHM: Neco Brett (44')
BHM: Bolu Akinyode (33')
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 1, 2020
- San Diego Plays to Scoreless Tie against Sacramento Republic FC - San Diego Loyal
- Austin Bold FC End Saturday Night with 2-4 Defeat against San Antonio FC - Austin Bold FC
- Charlotte Independence Announce Fans Will Not be Permitted at First Two Home Matches in August - Charlotte Independence
- Switchbacks FC Drop Result Behind Late Monarchs Goal - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- San Antonio FC Stays Unbeaten After 4-2 Win over Austin Bold FC - San Antonio FC
- STLFC Falls 1-0 Away to Memphis 901 FC - Saint Louis FC
- Real Monarchs Earn First Win of 2020 Season - Real Monarchs SLC
- Hounds Roll Union II, 4-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Craig and Sullivan make their first-ever starts with Sorenson making his USL Championship debut as Union II falls to new Group F leaders - Philadelphia Union II
- Indy Eleven Suffers Rare Home Defeat via 0-1 Loss to Sporting Kansas City II - Indy Eleven
- Energy FC Drops First Match Since Restart, 0-3 to New Mexico. - OKC Energy FC
- North Carolina FC Tops Birmingham Legion FC 1-0 to Earn First Win of 2020 - North Carolina FC
- Legion FC Drops First Match of the Season - Birmingham Legion FC
- Rising FC Hosts El Paso Tonight on CW61 Arizona & ESPN+ at 7:30 PM - Phoenix Rising FC
- STLFC Approved to Continue Operating at Under 25% Capacity - Saint Louis FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina FC Stories
- Ben Speas to Retire After a Nine-Year Professional Soccer Career
- North Carolina Football Club Partners with Reed and Feed and NCFC Youth for Food Drive
- North Carolina Football Club to Hold Virtual Ticket 'Pitch-In' Campaign for Bucy Foundation Mini-Pitch Project
- Dahlkemper, Dunn, and Williams Named to 27-Player Roster for First U.S. Women's National Team Training Camp in Seven Months
- North Carolina FC's Youth to Pro Pipeline Comes to Light as Dre Fortune Highlights 2020 NCFC Team Awards as Most Valuable Player