San Antonio FC Stays Unbeaten After 4-2 Win over Austin Bold FC
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC (3-0-1) beat Austin Bold FC (1-2-0) 4-2 at Bold Stadium on Saturday night. A brace from Luis Solignac and goals from Cristian Parano and Blake Smith earned the Alamo City club three points to stay undefeated in the 2020 USL Championship season.
"I think it was a fantastic win," said SAFC Head Coach Alen Marcina. "Austin is a very good team, very well coached and organized. At the end of the day I'm really proud of my guys. They were committed - 95-plus minutes of intensity - and we got the job done."
Solignac opened the scoring in the 23rd minute after a deflected pass from forward Gonzalo Di Renzo found him inside the Bold's box, which the Argentina native settled and buried past goalkeeper Diego Restrepo for the 1-0 lead. SAFC doubled the lead just four minutes later when Smith found himself in on goal with a pass from midfielder Jose Gallegos, turned on his defender and shot far-post to make it 2-0.
The goal marked the Boerne native's first for the Alamo City club while the assist marked Gallegos' first of the season. The Bold leveled the score with a goal from former SAFC midfielder Billy Forbes in the 36th minute and an own goal from defender Josh Yaro in the 52nd.
San Antonio FC regained the lead in the 74th minute after midfielder PC found Parano at the top of Austin's box, from where the midfielder fired towards the top right corner and past Restrepo to make it 3-2. The Alamo City club sealed the win 10 minutes later after Solignac received a pass from forward Ignacio Bailone and slotted it low and into the net to complete his brace, which earned him SWBC Man of the Match honors.
With the win, SAFC is off to its best start to a season since its 2017 campaign. The club will return to action on Saturday, Aug. 8 at 7 p.m. as the team travels to face OKC Energy FC at Taft Stadium.
SAFC: 1-0, Luis Solignac 23'
SAFC: 2-0, Blake Smith (Jose Gallegos assist) 27'
Bold FC: 2-1, Billy Forbes (Xavier Baez assist) 36'
Bold FC: 2-2, Own Goal (Joshua Yaro) 52'
SAFC: 3-2, Cristian Parano (PC assist) 74'
SAFC: 4-2, Luis Solignac (Ignacio Bailone assist) 84'
Bold FC: Yellow Card (Omar Ciss) 42'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Callum Montgomery) 68'
Bold FC: Yellow Card (Jermaine Taylor) 72'
Bold FC: Yellow Card (Xavier Baez) 87'
Bold FC: Yellow Card (Amobi Okugo) 90'
SAFC: Yellow Card (PC) 90'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Luis Solignac) 90'
SAFC Starting XI: GK: Dayne St. Clair; D: Connor Maloney, Mitchell Taintor, Joshua Yaro, Callum Montgomery (Hunter Gorskie 90'), Blake Smith; M: Jose Gallegos (Ignacio Bailone 82'), PC, Cristian Parano (Kai Greene 90'); F: Gonzalo Di Renzo (Zach Herivaux 45'), Luis Solignac (c)
Substitutions not used: Matthew Cardone, Jesus Enriquez, Tabort Etaka Preston
San Antonio FC carried their unbeaten streak to four matches with a 4-2 win over the Bold...SAFC improves record against Bold to 2-1-0, outscoring them 7-3 in those matches
SAFC scored more than one goal for the first time in 2020, and scored four goals for the first time since 10/11/19 at Portland Timbers 2...in 2019, SAFC was 11-6-1 when scoring multiple goals in a single match...overall in team history, SAFC has scored at least four goals seven times in league play
SAFC forward Luis Solignac scored his first two goals for the club to earn SWBC Man of the Match honors...Solignac recorded two shots, two shots on target and a 77.8 percent passing accuracy...marks the first SAFC brace since Ever Guzman scored a hattrick on 10/11/19, and the 13th brace overall in club history
San Antonio FC midfielder Cristian Parano recorded his second goal of the season to go along with two shots...in addition, both Jose Gallegos and PC recorded two key passes on the night
SAFC defender Blake Smith scored his first goal of the season...Smith added three interceptions and one tackle on the night
SAFC defender Callum Montgomery made his first start since 3/7 vs. Real Monarchs...the FC Dallas loanee had a team-high four clearances while adding two interceptions and three possessions gained
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 1, 2020
- San Diego Plays to Scoreless Tie against Sacramento Republic FC - San Diego Loyal
- Austin Bold FC End Saturday Night with 2-4 Defeat against San Antonio FC - Austin Bold FC
- Charlotte Independence Announce Fans Will Not be Permitted at First Two Home Matches in August - Charlotte Independence
- Switchbacks FC Drop Result Behind Late Monarchs Goal - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- San Antonio FC Stays Unbeaten After 4-2 Win over Austin Bold FC - San Antonio FC
- STLFC Falls 1-0 Away to Memphis 901 FC - Saint Louis FC
- Real Monarchs Earn First Win of 2020 Season - Real Monarchs SLC
- Hounds Roll Union II, 4-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Craig and Sullivan make their first-ever starts with Sorenson making his USL Championship debut as Union II falls to new Group F leaders - Philadelphia Union II
- Indy Eleven Suffers Rare Home Defeat via 0-1 Loss to Sporting Kansas City II - Indy Eleven
- Energy FC Drops First Match Since Restart, 0-3 to New Mexico. - OKC Energy FC
- North Carolina FC Tops Birmingham Legion FC 1-0 to Earn First Win of 2020 - North Carolina FC
- Legion FC Drops First Match of the Season - Birmingham Legion FC
- Rising FC Hosts El Paso Tonight on CW61 Arizona & ESPN+ at 7:30 PM - Phoenix Rising FC
- STLFC Approved to Continue Operating at Under 25% Capacity - Saint Louis FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Forward Jose Gallegos Named Finalist for USL Championship Young Player of the Year
- San Antonio FC Eliminated from Playoffs After Extra Time Goal for New Mexico
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC vs. New Mexico United
- San Antonio FC Falls 1-2 to Austin Bold in Final Match of Regular Season
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC at Austin Bold FC