Energy FC Drops First Match Since Restart, 0-3 to New Mexico.
Missed chances cost Energy FC Saturday night at Taft Stadium, as New Mexico United handed the Greens their first loss since the restart.
The visitors took the lead in the 31st minute after Chris Wehan was slipped in behind the OKC defense and squared the ball across the penalty area for Amando Moreno to chest into the empty net.
New Mexico doubled the lead in third minute of first-half stoppage time in similar fashion to the opening goal. This time, Daniel Bruce was played into space behind the backline and was able to find Wehan unmarked on the back post for the simple finish.
The Greens started the second half on the front foot and were awarded a penalty after Arun Basuljevic was brought down in the box in the 48th minute. Up stepped Jaime Chavez, who sent Mizell the wrong way but missed just wide of the right post.
Halftime substitute Frank Lopez nearly scored his second goal off the bench in as many games when Jose Hernandez put him through on goal in the 56th minute, but his powerful, left-footed drive was palmed away by Mizell.
Arun Basuljevic almost found the back of the net from distance, but his 25-yard, dipping, swerving effort just missed high in the 72nd minute.
Lopez's impact almost resulted in a goal again in the 74th minute. This time, he found himself behind the backline and fizzed a ball across the goal, but no one was able to get on the end of the cross.
Jaris Ahlinvi put the game out of reach in the 94th minute after his free kick hit the wall, and his first-time effort, off a fortunate rebound, snuck through traffic and past CJ Cochran.
With the loss, Energy FC remains in second in Group D on five points, at the time of writing.
The Greens are back at Taft Stadium on Saturday, August 8 against San Antonio FC at 7 p.m. Tickets are available at https://www.energyfc.com/tickets or by calling 235-KICK (5425).
NM: Moreno, 31' (Wehan)
NM: Wehan, 48' (Bruce)
NM: Ahlinvi, 94'
NM: Mizell, Yellow Card, 82'
OKC: Ibeagha, Yellow Card, 86'
OKC: Chavez, Yellow Card, 87'
OKC Starting XI: GK: CJ Cochran; D: Atiba Harris (c) (Frank Lopez, 46'), Nicolas Taravel, Christian Ibeagha (Vice Captain); M: Zach Ellis-Hayden, Charlie Ward, Rafael Garcia (Brad Dunwell, 83'), Arun Basuljevic, Jon Brown (Tucker Stephenson, 83'); F: Jaime Chavez, Jose Hernandez (Omar Gordon, 71')
Subs Not Used: Cody Laurendi, Kyle Hyland, Joe Amico
NM Starting XI: GK: Cody Mizell; D: Austin Yearwood, Saalih Muhammad, Kalen Ryden, Josh Suggs (c); M: Juan Pablo Guzman, Andrew Tinari (Ryan Williams, 76') Amando Moreno (Jaris Ahlinvi, 88'), Chris Wehan (David Estrada, 76'), Daniel Bruce (Rashid Tetteh, 70'); F: Romeo Parkes (Sammy Sergi, 70')
Subs Not Used: Philipp Beigl, Rashid Tetteh
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 1, 2020
- San Diego Plays to Scoreless Tie against Sacramento Republic FC - San Diego Loyal
- Austin Bold FC End Saturday Night with 2-4 Defeat against San Antonio FC - Austin Bold FC
- Charlotte Independence Announce Fans Will Not be Permitted at First Two Home Matches in August - Charlotte Independence
- Switchbacks FC Drop Result Behind Late Monarchs Goal - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- San Antonio FC Stays Unbeaten After 4-2 Win over Austin Bold FC - San Antonio FC
- STLFC Falls 1-0 Away to Memphis 901 FC - Saint Louis FC
- Real Monarchs Earn First Win of 2020 Season - Real Monarchs SLC
- Hounds Roll Union II, 4-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Craig and Sullivan make their first-ever starts with Sorenson making his USL Championship debut as Union II falls to new Group F leaders - Philadelphia Union II
- Indy Eleven Suffers Rare Home Defeat via 0-1 Loss to Sporting Kansas City II - Indy Eleven
- Energy FC Drops First Match Since Restart, 0-3 to New Mexico. - OKC Energy FC
- North Carolina FC Tops Birmingham Legion FC 1-0 to Earn First Win of 2020 - North Carolina FC
- Legion FC Drops First Match of the Season - Birmingham Legion FC
- Rising FC Hosts El Paso Tonight on CW61 Arizona & ESPN+ at 7:30 PM - Phoenix Rising FC
- STLFC Approved to Continue Operating at Under 25% Capacity - Saint Louis FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.