Austin Bold FC End Saturday Night with 2-4 Defeat against San Antonio FC
Austin, TX - Austin Bold FC fell to I-35 rivals San Antonio FC 2-4 on Saturday night at Bold Stadium. First-half goals from Luis Solignac and Blake Smith gave the visitors an early 2-0 lead. Bold forward Billy Forbes chipped away at SAFC's lead with his first goal in an Austin Bold FC jersey, and a San Antonio's own goal brought the match level. SAFC would pull away as a Cristian Parano goal and a second from Solignac put the match out of reach for Marcelo Serrano's men. The Bold will look to bounce back as Rio Grande Valley FC Toros travel to Bold Stadium on August 8, live on ESPN+.
The Bold had the first meaningful chance of the night in the 20', when Forbes cut inside from the right to hit a powerful left-footed shot outside the box and forcing SAFC goalkeeper Dayne St. Clair into a full-stretch save. Unfortunately, it would be the visitors who got on the board first in the 23' through Solignac. The Bold backline struggled to defend a low cross giving the forward time to pick his spot.
SAFC quickly doubled their lead in the 27' when a quick one-two between Smith and Jose Gallegos broke through the Bold defense, and the midfielder hit a left-footed shot across goal to make it 2-0.
Marcelo Serrano's men didn't hang their heads and fought to get back in the match. Forbes scored his first goal for Austin Bold FC in 36' from a set-piece situation awarded after a foul. Xavi Baez delivered a perfectly weighted ball into the box, and Forbes muscled past his defender to poke the ball by St. Clair.
Austin kept their attacking energy high after returning from halftime, causing defender Joshua Yaro into a mistake, creating an own goal. Ismaila Jome attacked the SAFC defenders and delivered a low hard cross in the 52' that was too much for Yaro, who deflected the ball into his own net.
The Bold fought for a winner, but two late goals from San Antonio FC put the match out of reach. A left-footed outside the box curler from Parano in the 74' and a right-footed low shot from a difficult angle by Solignac was enough to end the night in favor of SAFC with a 2-4 scoreline.
Forward Billy Forbes on scoring his first goal for Austin Bold FC.
"Feels great to score my first goal for The Bold. I'm looking to score more goals and help the team In a big way"
Austin Bold FC Head Coach Marcelo Serrano on the night's atmosphere.
"It was a great game today. The passion reminded me of when I played against Flamengo in front of 90,000 people. San Antonio has a great team. We have a great team, despite not training for two weeks. It was a great game"
Midfielder Amobi Okugo on working through the unfamiliar circumstances surrounding the match.
"I thought we did a great job despite the circumstances of being told that we will be playing on August 8 and getting the game rushed up. I want to give credit to the front office staff, the medical staff, and our coaches on getting us ready. It's difficult to go from Zoom workouts to on the field in two days before a game and put that type of performance in. Everyone on the staff should be commended for the sacrifices they are making to get us ready.
Okugo on the positives of the team's performance and looking forward to next weekend.
"It was a hard-fought match by the boys. We showed well. Obviously there were some mistakes that were made. I think we definitely showed well considering all the circumstances. We will not use it as an excuse. We will keep moving forward and use this as motivation. We have a quick turnaround. Hopefully, everyone can stay healthy and get some guys back in the meantime, so we have more subs. We still have a ton of games left and we can bounce back."
Okugo on the rivalry between Austin Bold FC and San Antonio FC.
"There is a lot of bad blood and we can't wait to play them again."
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 1, 2020
- San Diego Plays to Scoreless Tie against Sacramento Republic FC - San Diego Loyal
- Austin Bold FC End Saturday Night with 2-4 Defeat against San Antonio FC - Austin Bold FC
- Charlotte Independence Announce Fans Will Not be Permitted at First Two Home Matches in August - Charlotte Independence
- Switchbacks FC Drop Result Behind Late Monarchs Goal - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- San Antonio FC Stays Unbeaten After 4-2 Win over Austin Bold FC - San Antonio FC
- STLFC Falls 1-0 Away to Memphis 901 FC - Saint Louis FC
- Real Monarchs Earn First Win of 2020 Season - Real Monarchs SLC
- Hounds Roll Union II, 4-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Craig and Sullivan make their first-ever starts with Sorenson making his USL Championship debut as Union II falls to new Group F leaders - Philadelphia Union II
- Indy Eleven Suffers Rare Home Defeat via 0-1 Loss to Sporting Kansas City II - Indy Eleven
- Energy FC Drops First Match Since Restart, 0-3 to New Mexico. - OKC Energy FC
- North Carolina FC Tops Birmingham Legion FC 1-0 to Earn First Win of 2020 - North Carolina FC
- Legion FC Drops First Match of the Season - Birmingham Legion FC
- Rising FC Hosts El Paso Tonight on CW61 Arizona & ESPN+ at 7:30 PM - Phoenix Rising FC
- STLFC Approved to Continue Operating at Under 25% Capacity - Saint Louis FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Bold FC Stories
- Thank You, Giles Barnes, for Spending Time with Austin Bold FC
- Austin Bold FC Pays Tribute to Promise Isaac and Claims Victory over Tacoma Defiance
- Austin's Own Sonny G Returns to Austin Bold FC
- Fabien Garcia Selected for USL Team of the Week
- Austin Bold FC Comes out on Top against San Antonio