Real Monarchs Earn First Win of 2020 Season
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - Real Monarchs defeated regional rival Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC 2-1 to notch their first win of the 2020 season. The win moves the Monarchs into 2nd place in Group C of the USL Championship.
Midfielder Jack Blake and defender Taylor Peay each got a goal on either side of the half to secure the win.
The Monarchs dominated possession in the first 15 minutes of the match, but it would be Switchbacks FC with the best chances early on. Goalkeeper Jimmy Slayton made two diving saves in the first half, including a one handed save in the 27th minute to pop the ball up and off the bar to keep the score level. Shortly after in the 35th minute, defender Noah Powder drew a foul inside the box and Blake fired home the ensuing penalty kick to give the Monarchs the 1-0 lead at the break.
Switchbacks FC took the momentum early in the second half and the pressure ultimately resulted in a penalty kick goal by midfielder George Lebese to bring the sides level, but the Monarchs would not go away.
Late in the match, Powder earned a free kick in the attacking half. Blake sent the ball into the box and defender James Moberg headed the ball down to Peay who redirected the ball inside the right post for the go-ahead goal in the 3rd minute of added time. Switchbacks FC midfielder Darren Yapi had a last-second chance to tie the match in the 6th minute of added time, but his close shot on goal was saved by Slayton to take all three points with them back to Utah.
UP NEXT: Real Monarchs will return to their home field at Zions Bank Stadium as they play host to El Paso Locomotive FC at 8:00 p.m. on Saturday, August 15.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
SLC: Jack Blake, 35th minute: After a drawn foul by Noah Powder inside the box, Jack Blake scored the penalty with a shot to the bottom-right corner of the net.
COS: George Lebese, 57th minute: George Lebese converted the penalty with his left foot to level the score.
SLC: Taylor Peay (James Moberg), 90+3': Following a free kick from Jack Blake into the box, James Moberg headed the ball down to the foot of Taylor Peay who redirected the ball inside the right post for the eventual game-winner.
This was the second consecutive match between the two sides.
The two clubs now share a zero goal differential through 16 meetings.
Jordan Pena made his first appearance in the 2020 season.
Goalkeeper Jimmy Slayton earned his first professional win between the pipes.
Match: Real Monarchs vs. Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
Date: August 1, 2020
Venue: Weidner Field; Colorado Springs, Colorado
Weather: Mostly cloudy and 85 degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Real Monarchs 1 1 2
Switchbacks FC 0 1 1
SLC: Jack Blake 35'
COS: George Lebese 57'
SLC: Taylor Peay 90+3
Real Monarchs (3-4-2-1): Jimmy Slayton; Zack Farnsworth, Taylor Peay, James Moberg; Noah Powder, Sam Brown, Jack Blake, Andrew Brody; Bode Davis (Arturo Rodriguez, 68'), Kyle Coffee (Jordan Pena, 86'); Dayonn Harris (Ryan Sierakowski, 58')
Subs not used: Gavin Beavers, Steve Jasso, Devin Vega, NicolÃ¡s Giménez
Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC (4-4-2): Sean Melvin; Joan Cervos, Arturo Diz Pe, Kris Reaves, Jordan Burt; Aidan Daniels (Darren Yapi, 90+1'), Rony Argueta, Hiroki Kurimoto, George Lebese (Luke Ferreira, 71'); Austin Dewing (Uvaldo Luna, 71'), Mamadi Camara (Christian Volesky, 58')
Subs not used: Abraham Rodriguez, Alejandro Padilla, Vladimir Walent
STATS SUMMARY: SLC / COS
Shots: 8 / 11
Shots on Goal: 3 / 4
Saves: 3 / 1
Corner Kicks: 1 / 8
Fouls: 16 / 11
Offside: 0 / 1
COS - Jordan Burt (caution) 2'
SLC - Bode Davis (caution) 67'
COS - Arturo Diz Pe (caution) 90+2'
SLC - Ryan Sierakowski (caution) 90+5'
Referee: Malik Badawi
Assistant Referees: Brian Poeschel, Jacob Herold
4th Official: Alexander Martinez
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 1, 2020
- San Diego Plays to Scoreless Tie against Sacramento Republic FC - San Diego Loyal
- Austin Bold FC End Saturday Night with 2-4 Defeat against San Antonio FC - Austin Bold FC
- Charlotte Independence Announce Fans Will Not be Permitted at First Two Home Matches in August - Charlotte Independence
- Switchbacks FC Drop Result Behind Late Monarchs Goal - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- San Antonio FC Stays Unbeaten After 4-2 Win over Austin Bold FC - San Antonio FC
- STLFC Falls 1-0 Away to Memphis 901 FC - Saint Louis FC
- Real Monarchs Earn First Win of 2020 Season - Real Monarchs SLC
- Hounds Roll Union II, 4-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Craig and Sullivan make their first-ever starts with Sorenson making his USL Championship debut as Union II falls to new Group F leaders - Philadelphia Union II
- Indy Eleven Suffers Rare Home Defeat via 0-1 Loss to Sporting Kansas City II - Indy Eleven
- Energy FC Drops First Match Since Restart, 0-3 to New Mexico. - OKC Energy FC
- North Carolina FC Tops Birmingham Legion FC 1-0 to Earn First Win of 2020 - North Carolina FC
- Legion FC Drops First Match of the Season - Birmingham Legion FC
- Rising FC Hosts El Paso Tonight on CW61 Arizona & ESPN+ at 7:30 PM - Phoenix Rising FC
- STLFC Approved to Continue Operating at Under 25% Capacity - Saint Louis FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.