Stripers Stymie PawSox Bats in Win
PAWTUCKET, R.I. - The Gwinnett Stripers (26-16) silenced the Pawtucket Red Sox (14-25) bats on Saturday night, taking game two of the series by a 5-2 final.
The rehabbing Dustin Pedroia served as the designated hitter and batted third. He went 0-for-4 with two flyouts to center field, a groundout to first base, and a strikeout swinging.
The Stripers scored three times off PawSox starter Teddy Stankiewicz in the first inning, all three coming on a three-run blast off the bat of Travis Demeritte. It was Demeritte's second homer in as many games.
The Stripers have now hit 73 home runs in 42 games, the best mark in the International League.
Gwinnett grabbed another run in the second after Adam Duvall brought Rafael Ortega home on a sacrifice fly.
The PawSox finally broke through in the fifth inning. After Rusney Castillo reached on a fielder's choice, Josh Ockimey pulled a two-run home run into the bleachers in right-center field to make it 4-2. Ockimey now has 6 home runs over his last 8 games.
Adam Duvall belted his league-leading 15th home run of the year in the ninth inning to make it 5-2.
Brock Holt hit second and played in the field for the first time on this rehab assignment playing second base. He went 1-for-3 with a single, and he played seven innings in the field. Holt saw action on one play in the field, assisting on a double play in the third inning.
Continuing his recovery after missing all of 2018 with a left shoulder injury, Marco Hernandez played his first game with the PawSox after playing 21 games with High-A Salem. Hernandez led off and played shortstop. He went 0-for-4.
After laboring through the first two innings, Stankiewicz ended up tossing 5 innings, allowing 9 hits and 4 runs (all earned). He walked 3 and struck out 2. Stankiewicz only allowed 3 hits and a walk in his final three innings.
Stripers' starter Patrick Weigel spun 4 no-hit, shutout innings.
The PawSox conclude their three-game series with the Gwinnett Stripers tomorrow at 1:05 p.m. It's a Family FUNday, which will include a pre-game catch on the field from approximately 11:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and post-game Run the Bases for fans of all ages. Pawtucket right-hander Erasmo Ramirez (1-2, 4.55 ERA) is scheduled to oppose Stripers righty Kyle Wright (3-2, 7.23 ERA). Radio coverage on WHJJ (920 AM and 104.7 FM) and throughout the PawSox Radio Network begins with the pre-game show at 12:35 p.m.
The homestand wraps up Sunday. Good tickets are available, and fans can visit the McCoy Stadium box office, which is open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. through 5 p.m., and during all home games. Fans can also call (401) 724-7300 or log on to PawSox.com for tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Wings Drop Fifth Straight Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Fall to IronPigs 10-8 on Saturday - Charlotte Knights
- Davis, Tribe Offense Wash Away Tides on Prospects Night - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers Win Eighth Straight, Top Pawtucket 5-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- IronPigs homer their way to win in Charlotte - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Durham Downs Rochester in Comeback Fashion - Durham Bulls
- Stripers Stymie PawSox Bats in Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Cameron, Castro Hit RBI Triples in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Rally to Beat Toledo - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mets Blast Past Clippers, 7-2 - Syracuse Mets
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (21-17) vs. Norfolk Tides (19-20) - Indianapolis Indians
- Longhi Hits Two Home Runs in 4-3 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (17-24) at Buffalo Bisons (15-22) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Louisville (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Bulls Slug Their Way Past Wings, 9-5, Friday - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.