Knights Fall to IronPigs 10-8 on Saturday
(UPTOWN CHARLOTTE, NC) - Right fielder Daniel Palka launched two home runs, center fielder Adam Engel added another, but the Charlotte Knights dropped the middle game of their three-game series against the Lehigh Valley IronPigs by a score of 10-8 on Saturday night in front of a sell-out crowd of 10,252 fans at BB&T Ballpark on the 14th Annual Pink Knights presented by Charlotte Radiology.
The Knights entered Saturday's contest with a four-game winning streak and once again provided a fine offensive showing for the hometown fans. Palka went 2-for-2 with three runs scored, two home runs, two RBIs, and three walks in Saturday's game. With two home runs on Saturday, the 27-year-old now has seven home runs over his last 12 games. He has a total of nine on the season with the Knights.
Additionally, Engel recorded his first home run of the year with the Knights and finished the game 1-for-4 with two runs scored, the home run, and a stolen base. First baseman Matt Skole added three hits and scored two of Charlotte's eight runs on the night, while second baseman Ryan Goins chipped in with two hits.
A total of seven home runs were hit in the game on Saturday, including a total of five from the Lehigh Valley offense. Designated hitter Deivy Grullon hit two home runs for the IronPigs, who also combined to record 12 hits on the night.
Charlotte RHP Matt Foster (1-1, 5.73) was saddled with the loss after he allowed four runs on five hits over two innings in relief of LHP Justin Nicolino. Despite the loss, the Knights are 4-1 over their last five games.
The two teams will conclude their three-game series on Sunday afternoon from BB&T Ballpark. Pre-game radio coverage of Sunday's 2:05 p.m. game is set for 1:50 p.m. on 730 The Game ESPN Charlotte. The "Voice of the Charlotte Knights" Matt Swierad and long-time radio broadcaster Mike Pacheco will have the call for all of the action. LHP Ross Detwiler is scheduled to get the start for the Knights in the finale.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Wings Drop Fifth Straight Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Fall to IronPigs 10-8 on Saturday - Charlotte Knights
- Davis, Tribe Offense Wash Away Tides on Prospects Night - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers Win Eighth Straight, Top Pawtucket 5-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- IronPigs homer their way to win in Charlotte - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Durham Downs Rochester in Comeback Fashion - Durham Bulls
- Stripers Stymie PawSox Bats in Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Cameron, Castro Hit RBI Triples in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Rally to Beat Toledo - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mets Blast Past Clippers, 7-2 - Syracuse Mets
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (21-17) vs. Norfolk Tides (19-20) - Indianapolis Indians
- Longhi Hits Two Home Runs in 4-3 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (17-24) at Buffalo Bisons (15-22) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Louisville (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Bulls Slug Their Way Past Wings, 9-5, Friday - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Knights Stories
- Charlotte Knights Nominated for Minor League Baseball's Top Honor
- Matt Parrott Named IL Sports Turf Manager of the Year for Third Straight Season
- Knights Fall to Tides 7-6 in 10 Innings, Ending 2019 Season
- Knights Fall to Tides 11-2 on Sunday
- Knights Back Atop Wild Card Race with 5-2 Win