Durham Downs Rochester in Comeback Fashion
DURHAM, NC - The Durham Bulls scored a run in the fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth innings to erase a three-run deficit and defeat the Rochester Red Wings 4-3 Saturday night at the DBAP in front of a paid attendance of 10,319.
Wearing their Durham Tobacconists uniforms, Nick Solak got the comeback started with an RBI single in the bottom of the fifth to put the home side on the board for the first time. Jason Coats launched a solo homer in the sixth inning to cut the deficit to 3-2, and Solak followed suit with a solo home run of his own to tie the contest in the seventh frame. One inning later Nate Lowe drew a pinch-hit, bases-loaded walk to give the Bulls a 4-3 lead.
In the bottom of the ninth Andrew Kittredge (2-1) cemented the Bulls' 11th win in their last 13 tries by striking out the side.
The Red Wings opened the scoring when Jake Cave tallied an RBI single in the top of the third for a 1-0 lead. In the fifth the visitors struck again, this time on a Randy Cesar RBI knock and a Luke Raley run-scoring groundout for a 3-0 advantage, but that was the final time a Red Wings batter would cross the plate.
Solak and Coats combined for six of Durham's eight hits with three apiece. Jake Cronenworth, the team's regular shortstop, opened the game on the mound for the first pitching appearance of his professional career and tossed a scoreless frame. Fernando Romero (0-1) took the loss for the Red Wings, allowing the go-ahead run in the eighth frame.
Durham goes for the sweep of the three-game set Sunday at 5:05 p.m. RHP Arturo Reyes (2-1, 2.30) is scheduled to start for Durham opposite RHP Zach Littell (2-2, 4.50) for Rochester.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Wings Drop Fifth Straight Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Fall to IronPigs 10-8 on Saturday - Charlotte Knights
- Davis, Tribe Offense Wash Away Tides on Prospects Night - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers Win Eighth Straight, Top Pawtucket 5-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- IronPigs homer their way to win in Charlotte - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Durham Downs Rochester in Comeback Fashion - Durham Bulls
- Stripers Stymie PawSox Bats in Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Cameron, Castro Hit RBI Triples in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Rally to Beat Toledo - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mets Blast Past Clippers, 7-2 - Syracuse Mets
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (21-17) vs. Norfolk Tides (19-20) - Indianapolis Indians
- Longhi Hits Two Home Runs in 4-3 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (17-24) at Buffalo Bisons (15-22) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Louisville (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Bulls Slug Their Way Past Wings, 9-5, Friday - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.