Stripers Win Eighth Straight, Top Pawtucket 5-2
PAWTUCKET, RI - The Gwinnett Stripers (26-16) set a club record with their eighth straight win, a 5-2 victory over the Pawtucket Red Sox (14-25) on Saturday night in game two of the three-game series at McCoy Stadium. The Stripers raised their International League-leading home run total to 74 with blasts from Travis Demeritte and Adam Duvall.
Scoring Recap: The Stripers took a 3-0 lead in top of the first inning against Pawtucket starting pitcher Teddy Stankiewicz as Demeritte (8) crushed a three-run homer to left. The lead grew to 4-0 in the top of the third on a sacrifice fly to left field by Duvall. The Red Sox were held hitless over 4.0 innings by Stripers' starting pitcher Patrick Weigel but ended the shutout in the bottom of the fifth as Josh Ockimey (11) drilled a two-run homer to right-center off Huascar Ynoa to make it 4-2. Duvall (15) hit a long solo homer to center field in the ninth off Jennry Mejia for a 5-2 final.
Stripers Stats: Weigel, pitching in his first game for Gwinnett since 2017, worked 4.0 scoreless, hitless innings with one walk and two strikeouts. Ynoa (W, 1-0) made his Triple-A debut, and allowed two runs on three hits over 3.0 innings. Jason Creasy (H, 2) and Rafael De Paula (S, 5) combined on 3.0 scoreless, hitless frames. At the plate, Demeritte went 2-for-5 with a double, homer, and three RBIs, and Duvall went 1-for-4 with a homer and two RBIs. Rafael Ortega, Andres Blanco, Pedro Florimon, and Ryan LaMarre all had two hits apiece.
Red Sox Stats: Stankiewicz (L, 1-3) lost to Gwinnett for the second time this season with four runs on nine hits over 5.0 innings. Ockimey was 1-for-4 with a homer and two RBIs. Sam Travis and rehabbing Boston Red Sox infielder Brock Holt were each 1-for-3.
Postgame Notes: Of the Stripers' IL-leading 74 homers, 41 have come through 17 games in May (2.41 HR/game). Duvall has homered in four straight games since May 15 and six of his last eight games since May 10. Demeritte extended his on-base streak to 21 games and his hitting streak to eight games. Ockimey's two-run homer was his fourth clout against Gwinnett this season.
Next Game (Sunday, May 19): Gwinnett at Pawtucket, 1:05 p.m. Eastern. RHP Kyle Wright (3-2, 7.23 ERA) for the Stripers vs. RHP Erasmo Ramirez (1-2, 4.55 ERA) for the Red Sox. Radio Broadcast: 12:50 p.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Wings Drop Fifth Straight Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Fall to IronPigs 10-8 on Saturday - Charlotte Knights
- Davis, Tribe Offense Wash Away Tides on Prospects Night - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers Win Eighth Straight, Top Pawtucket 5-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- IronPigs homer their way to win in Charlotte - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Durham Downs Rochester in Comeback Fashion - Durham Bulls
- Stripers Stymie PawSox Bats in Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Cameron, Castro Hit RBI Triples in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Rally to Beat Toledo - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mets Blast Past Clippers, 7-2 - Syracuse Mets
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (21-17) vs. Norfolk Tides (19-20) - Indianapolis Indians
- Longhi Hits Two Home Runs in 4-3 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (17-24) at Buffalo Bisons (15-22) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Louisville (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Bulls Slug Their Way Past Wings, 9-5, Friday - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Stripers Introduce New Batting Practice Cap, Updated Uniforms
- Stripers Launch New "Veterans Pack" for Veterans Day
- Stripers to Unveil Uniform Updates, New Batting Practice Cap on November 7
- Stripers Host "Flick Or Treat" at Coolray Field on October 26
- Gwinnett Stripers Show Growth at Gates in 2019