Bulls Slug Their Way Past Wings, 9-5, Friday
Devin Smeltzer had his first rough outing of the season as the Durham Bulls knocked him out of the game in the fifth inning in a 9-5 win over the Red Wings on Friday at Durham Bulls Athletic Park.
The loss is the Wings (14-23) fourth straight and sixth in their last seven games.
Smeltzer came in sporting the best ERA (0.40) in all of Minor League Baseball, but allowed four runs on eight hits and two walks over 4.2 innings. The lefty had allowed just four runs (two earned) in his first 45 innings pitched this season between Double-A Pensacola and Rochester.
After the Bulls took a 2-0 lead in the second, Jake Cave tied the game with a mammoth two-run homer in the fourth inning - his first of the year for the Wings.
The Bulls regained the lead in the bottom half of the frame on a two-run homer from Nick Solak.
The reigning champs would pile on four more runs in the sixth off Trevor Hildenberger who was making his first appearance for the Wings since being optioned from Minnesota.
Drew Maggi extended his on-base streak to 22 games with a three-run homer in the seventh - his third of the season.
Lamonte Wade Jr, Wilin Rosario and Cave all notched two-hit nights for the Wings.
The Wings and Bulls weekend set continues Saturday night at 6:35 pm with southpaw Lewis Thorpe on the mound for Rochester.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Wings Drop Fifth Straight Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Fall to IronPigs 10-8 on Saturday - Charlotte Knights
- Davis, Tribe Offense Wash Away Tides on Prospects Night - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers Win Eighth Straight, Top Pawtucket 5-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- IronPigs homer their way to win in Charlotte - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Durham Downs Rochester in Comeback Fashion - Durham Bulls
- Stripers Stymie PawSox Bats in Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Cameron, Castro Hit RBI Triples in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Rally to Beat Toledo - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mets Blast Past Clippers, 7-2 - Syracuse Mets
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (21-17) vs. Norfolk Tides (19-20) - Indianapolis Indians
- Longhi Hits Two Home Runs in 4-3 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (17-24) at Buffalo Bisons (15-22) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Louisville (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Bulls Slug Their Way Past Wings, 9-5, Friday - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Red Wings Stories
- Hot Wings Sweep Knights
- Wings, Golisano Children's Hospital Partner for All-Stars Initiative
- Red Wings, Knights Suspended Saturday
- Wings Edge Knights 7-6
- Plates Serve up Soggy Win