Storm Sink Buccaneers in 3-1 Win
Kearney, NE. - The Tri-City Storm sunk the Des Moines Buccaneers in a 3-1 home victory on Friday night at the Viaero Center. 2018 USHL/NHL Top Prospect Game Team East MVP Tyler Madden scored the game winning goal and Jake Barczewski backstopped the Storm to victory number nineteen on the year. Tri-City has now won 11 of 15 home games on the season.
Des Moines opened the scoring on Friday with a goal less than six minutes into the first period. Nicolas Werbik netted his 11th of the season of a Tri-City turnover in the defensive zone out in front of netminder Barczewski. The goal at 5:57 was assisted by Mike Hardman and came even strength. The tally would prove to be the lone goal of the night for the Bucs, who held a 1-0 lead following the 1st period.
Tri-City got on the board less than three minutes into the 2nd period as Tyler Ward tied the game with a power play goal. The goal from Ward was his 9th of the season and was assisted by Chase McLane and Sam Hentges. The Storm would add another goal in the period at 18:56 to take the lead. Tyler Madden scored his team leading 11th of the season on the power play with the assists going to Adam Goodsir and Hugo Blixt. The Storm skated into the 3rd period with a 2-1 lead.
Jake Crespi scored his 3rd goal of the game a 3:39 of the 3rd period to put the game away for Tri-City. Noah Weber added an assist on the goal for his 2nd point of the season in his 6th game with the Storm. Jake Barczewski made 21 saves on 22 shots in the win. The victory was the 5th for Barczewski on the season as he played in his 8th consecutive game. The Tri-City goalie is expected to start his 9th straight game for the Storm tomorrow night.
Tyler Madden was the games 1st Star, with 2nd and 3rd Star honors going to Tyler Ward and Jake Crespi respectively.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2018
- McLAUGHLIN, SHORE TALLY HAT TRICKS AS STEEL OUTDUEL MUSKETEERS - Chicago Steel
- Recap: Hawks Take Tilt with Lancers - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Waterloo Tops Omaha, 5-2 - Omaha Lancers
- Storm Add Swedish Centerman Jakob Ringsby to Roster - Tri-City Storm
- Prosvetov Stops 52; Phantoms Prevail 3-1 - Youngstown Phantoms
- Postgame Recap: Palmer Provides OT Winner - Waterloo Black Hawks
- 1-13-18 McKay Steels the Show - Madison Capitols
- Storm Fall in Overtime to Des Moines - Tri-City Storm
- Prosvetov Shines as Saints Stonewalled in Loss - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Lancers Top Stars in OT, 4-3 - Omaha Lancers
- Stampede Fall to Fargo for First Time this Season - Sioux Falls Stampede
- RECAP -- Stars Earn One Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Lincoln Stars
- Steel Fall 4-1 at Madison Saturday - Chicago Steel
- Preview: Storm Seek Weekend Sweep of Des Moines - Tri-City Storm
- Abruzzese Lifts Steel Past Roughriders in Overtime - Chicago Steel
- 1-12-18 ... No More Messnering Around - Madison Capitols
- Storm Sink Buccaneers in 3-1 Win - Tri-City Storm
- Fighting Saints Break Away in the Third, Beat Phantoms - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- RECAP - Stars Fall to the Lancers, 6-2 - Lincoln Stars
- Phantoms Drop 3-1 Decision to Dubuque - Youngstown Phantoms
- Stampede Stay Perfect vs Fargo with 3-2 Win - Sioux Falls Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.