Steel Fall 4-1 at Madison Saturday
MIDDLETON, WISCONSIN - The Chicago Steel (14-11-1-2, 31 pts.) fell to the Madison Capitols (13-14-0-2, 28 pts.) 4-1 Saturday at Bob Suter's Capitol Ice Arena. Four different players lit the lamp for the Capitols as they picked up their first victory against Chicago in three attempts this season.
The Steel's lone tally came from defenseman Matteo Pietroniro, who recorded his first career USHL goal. The goal came on the power play; Chicago's only successful attempt in nine man-advantage opportunities in the game.
Madison now has points in each of its last seven games (6-0-0-1).
After just over 30 minutes of scoreless hockey, the Capitols stuck first at 11:31 of the second period. Anthony Callin rushed in on a breakaway and shot the puck in down low past Steel goaltender Oskar Autio.
The Madison lead doubled to 2-0 at 17:27 off another breakaway strike. Capitols captain Alec Broetzman received an outlet feed from Jared Kucharek, and Broetzman raced in and converted for a power play goal.
At 2:11 of the third period, Ryan O'Reilly gave the Capitols a three-goal lead with a shot from the slot that went high glove side on Autio for his 16th tally of the season, leading all USHL rookies.
Pietroniro denied Madison netminder Dryden McKay's shutout bid, firing a rocket from the blue line over McKay's glove for a man-advantage marker with just under 13 minutes remaining.
The Capitols regained a three-goal lead at the 11:36 mark when Michael Mancinelli fluttered a shot from the top of the right circle into the far side of the net.
Chicago and Madison each fired 32 shots on net in the contest. The Capitols went 1-for-7 on their man advantages.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2018
- McLAUGHLIN, SHORE TALLY HAT TRICKS AS STEEL OUTDUEL MUSKETEERS - Chicago Steel
- Recap: Hawks Take Tilt with Lancers - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Waterloo Tops Omaha, 5-2 - Omaha Lancers
- Storm Add Swedish Centerman Jakob Ringsby to Roster - Tri-City Storm
- Prosvetov Stops 52; Phantoms Prevail 3-1 - Youngstown Phantoms
- Postgame Recap: Palmer Provides OT Winner - Waterloo Black Hawks
- 1-13-18 McKay Steels the Show - Madison Capitols
- Storm Fall in Overtime to Des Moines - Tri-City Storm
- Prosvetov Shines as Saints Stonewalled in Loss - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Lancers Top Stars in OT, 4-3 - Omaha Lancers
- Stampede Fall to Fargo for First Time this Season - Sioux Falls Stampede
- RECAP -- Stars Earn One Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Lincoln Stars
- Steel Fall 4-1 at Madison Saturday - Chicago Steel
- Preview: Storm Seek Weekend Sweep of Des Moines - Tri-City Storm
- Abruzzese Lifts Steel Past Roughriders in Overtime - Chicago Steel
- 1-12-18 ... No More Messnering Around - Madison Capitols
- Storm Sink Buccaneers in 3-1 Win - Tri-City Storm
- Fighting Saints Break Away in the Third, Beat Phantoms - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- RECAP - Stars Fall to the Lancers, 6-2 - Lincoln Stars
- Phantoms Drop 3-1 Decision to Dubuque - Youngstown Phantoms
- Stampede Stay Perfect vs Fargo with 3-2 Win - Sioux Falls Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.