Postgame Recap: Palmer Provides OT Winner
Mason Palmer scored 1:49 into overtime, boosting the Waterloo Black Hawks to a 3-2 road victory versus the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders Saturday at Cedar Rapids Ice Arena.
Garrett Wait blocked a shot in the defensive zone, sending the puck the opposite direction with Garrett Klee leading the rush. Klee slowed in the right circle, before connecting with Palmer, who redirected the feed into the net past Blake Pietila.
On a night when shots were difficult to come by, Palmer's chance was Waterloo's 25 th of the game. The Hawks' Jared Moe earned the win with a dozen stops as the Hawks held the RoughRiders to 14 chances.
Niko Selivanov's first USHL goal had given the Black Hawks the lead 7:10 into the game. During the shift following a power play, Michael Ferrandino's shot from the right point was tipped in by Selivanov in the slot. The RoughRiders answered in kind, seconds after their first power play. At 15:05, Chase Blackmun lifted a chance from the slot over Jared Moe's glove. The Hawks could not capitalize on a long power play sequence in the mid-second period, and instead, the RoughRiders went to the lead with 1:23 remaining before intermission. Tyler Jubenvill was hit hard on the right boards in transition, but still found Jordan Timmons, who lifted a shot under the crossbar.
In the third, Moe made his biggest save of the game 5:16 into the third, kicking away a penalty shot by Marc McLaughlin. The opportunity was awarded after McLaughlin was held while on a shorthanded breakaway. With the Hawks still on a power play when the action resumed, Ben Copeland fed a pass out of the left corner to Jackson Cates between the circles. Cates lifted his opportunity under the crossbar to tie the score at 6:08.
Waterloo's three-game weekend concludes Sunday against the Omaha Lancers at 3:05 p.m.
Waterloo 1 0 1 1 - 3.
Cedar Rapids 1 1 0 0 - 2.
1st Period-1, Waterloo, Esposito-Selivanov 1 (Ferrandino, BlÃ¼mel), 7:11. 2, Cedar Rapids, Blackmun 4 (Bohlin), 15:05. Penalties-Ahcan Cr (cross checking), 4:50; Dougherty Wat (checking from behind, 10-minute misconduct), 7:35; Timmons Cr (roughing), 7:35; Johnson Wat (holding), 13:00.
2nd Period-3, Cedar Rapids, Timmons 9 (Jubenvill, Walsh), 18:37. Penalties-Denman Cr (high sticking dbl minor), 4:17; Lellig Wat (cross checking), 5:59; Smith Cr (slashing), 6:30; Sushko Cr (cross checking), 6:59; Klee Wat (hooking), 12:21.
3rd Period-4, Waterloo, Cates 13 (Copeland, Drury), 6:08 (PP). Penalties-Ahcan Cr (hooking), 4:20; Cates Wat (holding), 5:16; Esposito-Selivanov Wat (hooking), 9:03; Tabor Wat (major-fighting, 10-minute misconduct), 11:16; Valach Cr (major-fighting, 10-minute misconduct), 11:16.
1st OT Period-5, Waterloo, Palmer 2 (Klee), 1:49. Penalties-No Penalties. Shots on Goal-Waterloo 4-9-9-3-25. Cedar Rapids 7-5-2-0-14. Power Play Opportunities-Waterloo 1 / 6; Cedar Rapids 0 / 3. Goalies-Waterloo, Moe 10-5-0-0 (14 shots-12 saves). Cedar Rapids, Pietila 8-3-2-1 (25 shots-22 saves).
Referees-Jake Rekucki (10).
Linesmen-Rocco Stachowiak (71), Ivan Nedeljkovic.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2018
- McLAUGHLIN, SHORE TALLY HAT TRICKS AS STEEL OUTDUEL MUSKETEERS - Chicago Steel
- Recap: Hawks Take Tilt with Lancers - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Waterloo Tops Omaha, 5-2 - Omaha Lancers
- Storm Add Swedish Centerman Jakob Ringsby to Roster - Tri-City Storm
- Prosvetov Stops 52; Phantoms Prevail 3-1 - Youngstown Phantoms
- Postgame Recap: Palmer Provides OT Winner - Waterloo Black Hawks
- 1-13-18 McKay Steels the Show - Madison Capitols
- Storm Fall in Overtime to Des Moines - Tri-City Storm
- Prosvetov Shines as Saints Stonewalled in Loss - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Lancers Top Stars in OT, 4-3 - Omaha Lancers
- Stampede Fall to Fargo for First Time this Season - Sioux Falls Stampede
- RECAP -- Stars Earn One Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Lincoln Stars
- Steel Fall 4-1 at Madison Saturday - Chicago Steel
- Preview: Storm Seek Weekend Sweep of Des Moines - Tri-City Storm
- Abruzzese Lifts Steel Past Roughriders in Overtime - Chicago Steel
- 1-12-18 ... No More Messnering Around - Madison Capitols
- Storm Sink Buccaneers in 3-1 Win - Tri-City Storm
- Fighting Saints Break Away in the Third, Beat Phantoms - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- RECAP - Stars Fall to the Lancers, 6-2 - Lincoln Stars
- Phantoms Drop 3-1 Decision to Dubuque - Youngstown Phantoms
- Stampede Stay Perfect vs Fargo with 3-2 Win - Sioux Falls Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.