Lancers Top Stars in OT, 4-3
Ralston, NE - The Lancers returned to the ice to face the Lincoln Stars at a sold-out Ralston Arena on Saturday night. Omaha won Friday nights matchup with a final score of 6-2. Both teams were down me on their rosters due to fighting suspensions. Omaha's Jack Randl (4 games) and Jesper Peltonen (2 games) and Lincoln's Paul Cotter (1 game), Christian Krygier (5 games) and Mason Klee (4 games) were suspended. Omaha called on Vinnie Purpura to play between the pipes. Purpura has been outstanding as of late with a record of 9-6-1-1, a 2.02 GAA and a .921 SV%.
Lincoln struck first midway through the opening frame with a goal from Dominick Mersh. Mick Kohler(7) answered back though when he took a pass from Brendan Furry to get the Lancers on the board. Lincoln though scored again late with a goal from Casey Dornback to take the 2-1 lead heading into the first intermission.
In the second period, Filip Suchy (14) tied it up with an assist from Brendan Furry with 13:48 left to play. As the period was nearing a close and on the two-man-advantage, Cole Gallant (8) gave the Lancers their first lead of the game. Omaha headed into the second intermission leading 3-2.
Late in the third period, Collin Peters scored with the extra attacker for the Stars to tie the game 3-3 and force overtime.
After a scoreless overtime period, a shootout was forced. After three shooters, Cole Gallant stepped up and sniped the puck past Schaedig to give the Lancers the 4-1 win.
Vinnie Purpura stopped 30 of the 33 shots he faced and stopped all 4 shots he faced in the shootout. The Lancers improve to 18-8-2-0 with 38 points.
3 Stars: 1 - Cole Gallant: 1 Goal 2 - Filip Suchy: 1 Goal, 2 Assists 3 - Brendan Furry: 2 Assists.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2018
- McLAUGHLIN, SHORE TALLY HAT TRICKS AS STEEL OUTDUEL MUSKETEERS - Chicago Steel
- Recap: Hawks Take Tilt with Lancers - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Waterloo Tops Omaha, 5-2 - Omaha Lancers
- Storm Add Swedish Centerman Jakob Ringsby to Roster - Tri-City Storm
- Prosvetov Stops 52; Phantoms Prevail 3-1 - Youngstown Phantoms
- Postgame Recap: Palmer Provides OT Winner - Waterloo Black Hawks
- 1-13-18 McKay Steels the Show - Madison Capitols
- Storm Fall in Overtime to Des Moines - Tri-City Storm
- Prosvetov Shines as Saints Stonewalled in Loss - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Lancers Top Stars in OT, 4-3 - Omaha Lancers
- Stampede Fall to Fargo for First Time this Season - Sioux Falls Stampede
- RECAP -- Stars Earn One Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Lincoln Stars
- Steel Fall 4-1 at Madison Saturday - Chicago Steel
- Preview: Storm Seek Weekend Sweep of Des Moines - Tri-City Storm
- Abruzzese Lifts Steel Past Roughriders in Overtime - Chicago Steel
- 1-12-18 ... No More Messnering Around - Madison Capitols
- Storm Sink Buccaneers in 3-1 Win - Tri-City Storm
- Fighting Saints Break Away in the Third, Beat Phantoms - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- RECAP - Stars Fall to the Lancers, 6-2 - Lincoln Stars
- Phantoms Drop 3-1 Decision to Dubuque - Youngstown Phantoms
- Stampede Stay Perfect vs Fargo with 3-2 Win - Sioux Falls Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.