Stingers Sweep St. Cloud
Willmar, Minn. - The Stingers sweep the Rox in the Great Plains West Division Championship 3-2. The Stingers will now advance to the Great Plains Championship in Eau Claire, WI tomorrow.
Garret Rukes (Alabama) went the distance for Willmar in his start on the mound. He went seven strong innings allowing one earned run. Rukes walked two batters and struck out five in his outing. The game was scoreless for the first four innings as both pitchers were locked in. Brandon Bohning moved the Stingers ahead in the fifth when he scored off an infield hit from Sam Baier. 1-0. The Rox tied the game up in the sixth when two hits scored a run. 1-1 tied ballgame.
The Stingers had a big seventh inning when three hits scored two runs. Brennan McKenzie (Pomona) was awarded an RBI when he was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. The very next batter, Riley Johnson (Augustana), knocked a base hit that scored Sam Baier (Augustana) to bring the score to 3-1 Stingers. Bryant Claunch (North Alabama) was first in relief for Willmar. He went 1.2 innings allowing one earned run in the eighth.
Claunch recorded two outs in the ninth then handed the ball over to Aldo Fernandez (New Mexico State). Fernandez struck out the last batter of the game to complete the sweep of St. Cloud. The Stingers will head to Eau Claire tomorrow for the Great Plains Championship. First pitch 7:05pm CT!
The 2019 Stingers season is presented by J.D. Kreps Financial Group. For more coverage of the Stingers visit the West Central Tribune online at www.wctrib.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Express Claim Great Plains East Subdivision Championship - Eau Claire Express
- St. Cloud Battles with Willmar, Falls to Stingers in the Playoffs - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Sweep St. Cloud - Willmar Stingers
- 10th Anniversary Season Wraps up in Madison - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bucks Blanked 7-0 by Express, Concluding 2019 Campaign - Waterloo Bucks
- Mallards Explosive Offense and Strong Pitching Eliminates Rafters - Madison Mallards
- Growlers Season Ends on Walk-Off by Pit Spitters - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Pit Spitters Advance to Division Championship on Walk-Off - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Loggers Wrap up Winning Season with 37-35 Record - La Crosse Loggers
- Rafters Travel to Madison for Must-Win Game Two - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Put Rafters on Verge of Elimination - Madison Mallards
- Green Bay Season Recap - Green Bay Booyah
- Phillips Homers in 2-1 Subdivisional-Opening Bucks Loss - Waterloo Bucks
- Delano Breaks RBI Record, Rox Fall in Game One of Playoffs to Willmar - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Roll Rafters 9-2 to Open Playoffs - Madison Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.