Phillips Homers in 2-1 Subdivisional-Opening Bucks Loss
The Waterloo Bucks fell in heartbreaking fashion to the Eau Claire Express in Monday's Great Plains East Subdivisional Series opener 2-1 as the tying run was thrown out at home to end the game.
Jack Parkinson dealt 7.0 innings of two-run ball while receiving a hard-luck loss, scattering four hits and two walks with three strikeouts. Waterloo's ace worked at a 52.4% groundball rate while piling up 9 whiffs on his 88 pitches.
After Eau Claire scored two in the fourth on a single, Bucks first baseman Dylan Phillips (1-3, BB, R, HR, RBI) blasted a solo home run to right-center, cutting the deficit in half.
Taking the ball from Parkinson in the eighth, Brett Lockwood fired 2.0 scoreless innings with a pair of punchouts. Following a leadoff double by the first batter he faced, Lockwood proceeded to retire the next six.
Patrick Ferguson (1-4, 2B) blasted a one-out double in the bottom of the ninth, then was pinch-ran for by Noah Conlon. After a flyout brought Kyler Arenado (2-4) to the plate with two men gone and Conlon standing on second, Waterloo's third baseman singled through the left side. Conlon was waved home, but a precise throw from the Express' left fielder beat him to the plate and the catcher applied the tag to end the game.
The Subdivisional Series pivots to Eau Claire for a must-win game two at 6:35 p.m. Tuesday on the Bucks Radio Network powered by 1650 The Fan.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Express Claim Great Plains East Subdivision Championship - Eau Claire Express
- St. Cloud Battles with Willmar, Falls to Stingers in the Playoffs - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Sweep St. Cloud - Willmar Stingers
- 10th Anniversary Season Wraps up in Madison - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bucks Blanked 7-0 by Express, Concluding 2019 Campaign - Waterloo Bucks
- Mallards Explosive Offense and Strong Pitching Eliminates Rafters - Madison Mallards
- Growlers Season Ends on Walk-Off by Pit Spitters - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Pit Spitters Advance to Division Championship on Walk-Off - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Loggers Wrap up Winning Season with 37-35 Record - La Crosse Loggers
- Rafters Travel to Madison for Must-Win Game Two - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Put Rafters on Verge of Elimination - Madison Mallards
- Green Bay Season Recap - Green Bay Booyah
- Phillips Homers in 2-1 Subdivisional-Opening Bucks Loss - Waterloo Bucks
- Delano Breaks RBI Record, Rox Fall in Game One of Playoffs to Willmar - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Roll Rafters 9-2 to Open Playoffs - Madison Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.