Growlers Season Ends on Walk-Off by Pit Spitters
Traverse City, Mich. - The Kalamazoo Growlers fall to the Traverse City Pit Spitters 5-4, on a walkoff single by Mario Camilletti (Oakland).
The Pit Spitters notched their first run in the first on a fielder's choice by Andrew Morrow (MSU) to score Camilletti.
Traverse City extended their lead to 4-0 in the fifth, with an RBI triple by Riley Bertram (Michigan), single by Camilletti and Morrow.
The Growlers were able to scare off the Northwoods League Pitcher of the Year, Andrew Hoffman (Oakland), in the sixth as the Growlers scored three runs to pull within one.
Hunter Thorn (Purdue Northwest) and Jarrett Smetana (Kent State) both had RBI singles to score Miko Rodriguez (Texas A&M) and Jimmy Sullivan (UVA), respectively.
Anthony Cocco (GVSU) also scored as Shea Kramer (Utah) grounded into a 6-4-3 double play.
Kalamazoo tied up the game in the eighth on a single by Kramer to bring home Cocco.
Eamon Horwedel (7-2, Ohio) retired the Pit Spitters in order in the bottom half to send the game to the ninth.
In the final frame, Joe Pace (1-1, Michigan) struck out the side, sending Traverse City to the dish with a chance to walk it off.
Camilletti grounded a ball past Cocco at second base, to allow Daniel Head (New Mexico State) across the plate for the win.
Horwedel notched his second loss of the summer, while Pace got his first win
The starter for the Growlers, Christian Johnson (1-1, Gustavus Adolphus) went 4.2, allowing four runs on six hits. Johnson also struck out two Pit Spitters.
The Kalamazoo Growlers season is now over, while the Traverse City Pit Spitters will take on the Madison Mallards tomorrow at 7:05 p.m., for the Great Lakes Championship.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Express Claim Great Plains East Subdivision Championship - Eau Claire Express
- St. Cloud Battles with Willmar, Falls to Stingers in the Playoffs - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Sweep St. Cloud - Willmar Stingers
- 10th Anniversary Season Wraps up in Madison - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bucks Blanked 7-0 by Express, Concluding 2019 Campaign - Waterloo Bucks
- Mallards Explosive Offense and Strong Pitching Eliminates Rafters - Madison Mallards
- Growlers Season Ends on Walk-Off by Pit Spitters - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Pit Spitters Advance to Division Championship on Walk-Off - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Loggers Wrap up Winning Season with 37-35 Record - La Crosse Loggers
- Rafters Travel to Madison for Must-Win Game Two - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Put Rafters on Verge of Elimination - Madison Mallards
- Green Bay Season Recap - Green Bay Booyah
- Phillips Homers in 2-1 Subdivisional-Opening Bucks Loss - Waterloo Bucks
- Delano Breaks RBI Record, Rox Fall in Game One of Playoffs to Willmar - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Roll Rafters 9-2 to Open Playoffs - Madison Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.