Mallards Put Rafters on Verge of Elimination
MADISON, Wis. - Last night, the Madison Mallards (1-0) defeated the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters (0-1) 9-2, to open the first round of the postseason. The Mallards dominated the Rafters with their stellar offense that included 12 hits, backed by a dominant start from Quinn Gudaitis (Illinois Wesleyan).
In front of a packed Witter Field, Gudaitis crafted his best outing of the season. The right-hander went seven innings and only allowed one run. Offensively, EJ Ranel (Lenoir-Rhyne) churned out a three-hit game, along with two other Mallards who had multi-hit performances.
The contest was the first time ever the Mallards and Rafters collided in the postseason. Madison is in the playoffs for the 10th time in franchise history and the fifth time under Donnie Scott.
Since the Mallards earned the game one victory, the Rafters are now on the verge of elimination in the best-of-three series. If the Mallards pull out a win at home, they will sweep the Rafters and play the winner of the Traverse City Pit Spitters (1-0) and Kalamazoo Growlers series (0-1). The team with the better overall winning percentage will host the Great Lakes Championship Game.
Yesterday's win marked the first playoff victory since 2015, when the Mallards defeated the Green Bay Bullfrogs 3-2 at the Duck Pond.
Tonight's first pitch is scheduled for 6:35 p.m., gates will open at 5:35 p.m.
Fans are invited to pack the pond and help cheer on the Mallards, who are looking to earn a series sweep. Tickets are available for purchase by visiting MallardsBaseball.com, calling the Mallards ticket office at 608-246-4277, or stopping in the ticket office at 2920 N Sherman Ave. Hear every pitch of the 2019 Mallards' season live on The Zone, 96.7 FM and 1670 AM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Express Claim Great Plains East Subdivision Championship - Eau Claire Express
- St. Cloud Battles with Willmar, Falls to Stingers in the Playoffs - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Sweep St. Cloud - Willmar Stingers
- 10th Anniversary Season Wraps up in Madison - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bucks Blanked 7-0 by Express, Concluding 2019 Campaign - Waterloo Bucks
- Mallards Explosive Offense and Strong Pitching Eliminates Rafters - Madison Mallards
- Growlers Season Ends on Walk-Off by Pit Spitters - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Pit Spitters Advance to Division Championship on Walk-Off - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Loggers Wrap up Winning Season with 37-35 Record - La Crosse Loggers
- Rafters Travel to Madison for Must-Win Game Two - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Put Rafters on Verge of Elimination - Madison Mallards
- Green Bay Season Recap - Green Bay Booyah
- Phillips Homers in 2-1 Subdivisional-Opening Bucks Loss - Waterloo Bucks
- Delano Breaks RBI Record, Rox Fall in Game One of Playoffs to Willmar - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Roll Rafters 9-2 to Open Playoffs - Madison Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Mallards Stories
- Mallards Rally Falls Shy in Traverse City
- Mallards Compete against Traverse City for Great Lakes Championship
- Mallards Explosive Offense and Strong Pitching Eliminates Rafters
- Mallards Put Rafters on Verge of Elimination
- Mallards Roll Rafters 9-2 to Open Playoffs