Sting Dropped by Soo
On a chilly evening at GFL Memorial Gardens, these two West division rivals went head-to-head. Splitting the season series at one apiece heading into puck drop, the two sides kept this one close right through to the final buzzer.
In the first period, Soo forward Ryan Roth opened the scoring. Roth shot a hard one-timer from below the right circle past Sting netminder Cameron Lamour.
Sarnia overage forward Franco Sproviero would later fire a laser off the post, but we couldn't sneak one by Hounds goalie Matthew Villalta in the opening frame.
Moving into the second, we were ready to hit the score sheet. Brayden Guy was the man to do it. Playing on Sarnia's top line with Hugo Leufvenius and Jamieson Rees, Guy picked up his twelfth goal of the season. The goal was a result of an absurd no-look reverse pass from Rees. Carrying the puck around the Soo cage, Rees made an incredibly heads-up play to find Guy with a sneaky pass. Guy had a wide open cage to bury the puck into. 1-1.
Midway through the second, Cole MacKay gave the Greyhounds a 2-1 lead. Heading to the third, we were only down a goal.
In the final frame, Roth recorded his second goal of the night to give the Soo a 3-1 advantage.
Guy wasn't done yet.
With the Sting shorthanded midway through the period, Guy scored his second of the night. Down two tallies, this was a crucial penalty kill, and Guy played it perfectly. Guy accepted an awesome pass from Calvin Martin before lifting the puck over an outstretched Villalta. It made the game 3-2.
We hustled hard to complete the comeback, but just came up a tad short. Hounds forward Morgan Frost added an empty-netter to seal the win for Sault Ste. Marie.
Lamour made some stellar stops for the Sting tonight and turned aside thirty-three shots.
We'll return to the ice on Friday at The Hive! Puck drop against the league-leading Ottawa 67's is 7:05 PM!
NEXT HOME GAME: STING vs. 67's
Friday, January 11 | 7:05 PM
Progressive Auto Sales Arena
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from January 10, 2019
- Brazeau Nets OT Winner - North Bay Battalion
- Colts Fall Prey to the Wolves 4-3 - Barrie Colts
- Dogs Pick up Point in 6-5 OT Loss to Storm - Niagara IceDogs
- 7th Annual Pink at the Rink Game- Sunday, January 27 - Mississauga Steelheads
- Weekend Preview: Steelheads Set for Another 3-In-3 on the Road - Mississauga Steelheads
- Steelheads Complete Trade with Petes - Mississauga Steelheads
- Pick Acquired for Vescio - North Bay Battalion
- Petes Acquire Forward Michael Little from the Mississauga Steelheads - Peterborough Petes
- Sting Acquire Anthony Tabak from the Sudbury Wolves - Sarnia Sting
- London and Flint Complete Trade - London Knights
- Steelheads Complete Trade with Hamilton - Mississauga Steelheads
- 7th Annual Bell Let's Talk Game Sunday, January 20 - Mississauga Steelheads
- Wolves Make Roster Move - Sudbury Wolves
- Spits Acquire Rights to Bernard, Trade Patton to Guelph - Windsor Spitfires
- Otters Trade Bernard to Spitfires for Russett - Erie Otters
- Mississauga Next Test - North Bay Battalion
- Sting Dropped by Soo - Sarnia Sting
- Generals Acquire Prospect Cal Schell from the Battalion in Exchange for a Draft Selection - Oshawa Generals
- Generals Trade Joseph Rupoli to the Rangers in Exchange for Draft Selections - Oshawa Generals
- Pytlik Joins Greyhounds - Soo Greyhounds
- Lemaire Commits to Wolves - Sudbury Wolves
- Wolves Complete Trade with IceDogs - Sudbury Wolves
- IceDogs Acquire McGrath from Wolves - Niagara IceDogs
- London and Erie Complete Trade - London Knights
- Garagan Acquired from Hamilton - Windsor Spitfires
- Erie Otters Acquire Jacob Golden from London Knights - Erie Otters
- Petes Trade Cameron Supryka to the Hamilton Bulldogs in Exchange for Pick - Peterborough Petes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.