Steelheads Offense Shines in 7-2 Win over Solar Bears
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (37-22-5) finished off their Florida trip with a strong 7-2 win over the Orlando Solar Bears (34-23-5) on Tuesday night from Amway Center.
The Solar Bears converted on the first power play of the game at 3:25 of the first period thanks to forward Mathieu Foget to jump ahead early, 1-0. The Steelheads came back to answer with three-unanswered goals to finish the frame. At 5:13, Steelheads forward Connor Chatham re-directed a shot coming from the right wall to notch his first goal of the season and tie the game at 1-1. Steelheads forward Elgin Pearce jammed in a loose puck in a net-front battle at 10:45, and defenseman Nolan Gluchowski added his own tally less than one minute later at 11:41 while on the power play to stride ahead quickly, 3-1.
The Steelheads rallied their momentum into the second period with two more goals and one at just 1:23. Steelheads forward Reid Petryk found forward Spencer Naas trailing behind a rush for an open net and a three-goal lead, 4-1. On their second power play, the Steelheads scored their second goal at 12:30 with a one-time shot by Steve McParland in the right circle to quadruple the lead at 5-1. Solar Bears forward Jackson Playfair broke the five-unanswered goal run at 18:31 and cut into the lead, 5-2.
The Steelheads added two more goals late in the game starting with the Solar Bears netminder pulled at 15:52 thanks to a center ice shot into an open net by forward Will Merchant to ensure the victory and followed by Naas on his second tally at 18:24, settling the final score at 7-2.
Steelheads goaltender Tomas Sholl (23-11-0) halted 38 of 40 shots in the win. Solar Bears netminder Corbin Boes (9-9-3) stopped 11 of 14 shots in 11:14 minutes, and Connor Ingram turned away 24 of 27 shots in 47:43 minutes of relief.
The Steelheads open a five-game stretch and two games at Rushmore Plaza Civic on Friday, Mar. 22 at 7:05 p.m. against the Rapid City Rush. Coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on 1350 AM KTIK and ECHL.TV.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday, Mar. 27 at 7:10 p.m. against the Rapid City Rush. Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 19, 2019
- Four First Period Goals Send Stingrays Past KC - South Carolina Stingrays
- Solar Bears Drop Rubber Match to Steelheads - Orlando Solar Bears
- Steelheads Offense Shines in 7-2 Win over Solar Bears - Idaho Steelheads
- Admirals Announce Several Roster Moves - Norfolk Admirals
- ECHL Transactions - March 19 - ECHL
- Nailers Sign Nicolas Erb-Ekholm - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye Register Loaned to AHL - Toledo Walleye
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Steelheads - Orlando Solar Bears
- Manchester Monarchs Care Foundation Donates $7,500 to Elliot Hospital - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Adds Young Defenseman Nilsen - Wichita Thunder
- Adirondack's Riley Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Riley Tabbed as Inglasco ECHL Player of the Week - Adirondack Thunder
- Tulsa's Keserich Named CCM/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Keserich Named ECHL Goaltender of the Week Again - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Donate More Than $25,000 to C.R. Wood Cancer Center - Adirondack Thunder
- Stingrays Weekly Report - March 19 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Rush Defeat Grizzlies 4-3 on Monday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Loss to Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Goaltender Matt Jurusik Joins Steelheads
- ECHL Confirms Start Date for 2020-21 Season
- Forward Calder Brooks and Defenseman Darren Brady Join Steelheads
- Idaho Central Arena: New Name, New Updates Coming to Downtown Boise
- Forward Brett Supinski Returns to Steelheads