Stars Fall to Spurs at Vivint Smart Home Arena
SALT LAKE CITY - The Salt Lake City Stars, the official NBA G League affiliate of the Utah Jazz, fell to the Austin Spurs 117-108 at Vivint Smart Home Arena tonight.
Salt Lake City was paced by Utah Jazz assignment player Nigel Williams-Goss and center Paul White, who tallied 22 points apiece. Williams-Goss added five rebounds, four assists and two steals, while White posted seven rebounds, three assists and two blocks. Jazz two-way player Jarrell Brantley finished with 15 points, eight rebounds, two assists and two steals.
Six players scored in double figures for the Spurs, including all five of their starters. San Antonio Spurs two-way player Quinndary Weatherspoon led all scorers with 26 points, while Dedric Lawson led all reserves with 19 points and seven rebounds off the bench. Luka Samanic, currently on assignment from the San Antonio Spurs, notched a double-double with 10 points and a game-high 11 rebounds.
All seven of the game's lead changes came in the first half, with San Antonio taking a 55-51 lead at intermission. The Spurs held Salt Lake City to 38.1 percent shooting in the third period as San Antonio expanded their lead to as many as 16 points, outscoring the Stars 32-25 in the period. Salt Lake City cut the lead to five points late in the fourth quarter (113-108), but San Antonio withstood the Stars push and ultimately won by nine. The Spurs held the edge in rebounds (51-40), assists (23-21), steals (10-7) and turnovers (14-15).
The Stars will wrap up their three-game homestand with "Pirate Night presented by Divvy" on Friday, Jan. 3 against the Santa Cruz Warriors (Golden State Warriors affiliate). The game, which tips off at 7 p.m. (MT) at Bruin Arena, will be streamed on NBAGLeague.com.
Tickets for all Stars home games are available at slcstars.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 28, 2019
- Santa Cruz Warriors Battle Back in Fourth, Defeat Kings, 123-116 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Stars Fall to Spurs at Vivint Smart Home Arena - Salt Lake City Stars
- Austin Spurs Capture 117-108 Victory against Salt Lake City Stars - Austin Spurs
- Lakeland Defeats Herd 118-111 on Second Night of Back-To-Back - Wisconsin Herd
- Suns Force 31 Turnovers, Storm Back in Fourth Before Running out of Time - Northern Arizona Suns
- Drive Close out Decade with a Road Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Bowen II Finishes with Career-High 25 Points, Drive Rally Back against Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- South Bay Heads in the Right Direction, Beats Northern Arizona - South Bay Lakers
- Strong Start Propels Charge Through Nets - Canton Charge
- Texas Legends Snap Stockton Kings Home Game Winning Streak with 125-115 Victory - Stockton Kings
- Legends Overthrow Kings - Texas Legends
- Stars up Winning Streak to 14 with Victory over Spurs - Salt Lake City Stars
- Clippers Hold off Late Blue Rally - Agua Caliente Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.