Stars Deadly from Deep, Cruise Past Charge
LAS VEGAS - The Salt Lake City Stars raced out to an early lead over the Cleveland Charge and never looked back in a lopsided 123-97 victory on Tuesday night at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center.
The Stars knocked down 18 three-pointers on a night where they shot 40 percent from beyond the arch (18-45 3PA), including five three-point makes in the first quarter, helping them to a 35-26 lead after the opening frame.
Carsen Edwards led the Stars with 25 points, six rebounds and six assists. Elijah Hughes scored 12 of his 22 points in the first quarter as he helped the Stars to a 58-53 halftime lead.
Justin James paced the Charge with a game-high 26 points including a converted and-one opportunity with 11:03 left in the third quarter that cut the Stars lead to 58-61. Salt Lake City answered right back with an 8-0 run to push their lead back to 11.
Derrick Alston Jr. scored 14 of his 18 points in the second half as he caught fire in the third quarter and helped the Stars stretch their lead over the Charge.
The Stars stayed hot in the fourth quarter as the team shot 66.7 percent (14-21 FGA) from the field, including five more shots from deep, on their way to a convincing win in their first game at the AT&T NBA G League Winter Showcase.
The Stars will be back in action tomorrow night to conclude their two-game set at the Winter Showcase as they match up against the reigning NBA G League champion Lakeland Magic at 6 p.m. (MDT) on ESPN+.
The Charge will face the Stockton Kings tomorrow at 7 p.m. (MDT).
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 22, 2021
- Sacramento Kings Sign Ade Murkey to 10-Day Contract - Stockton Kings
- Stockton Kings Hold off Cleveland Charge in Final NBA G League Winter Showcase Game - Stockton Kings
- Stars Roll Past Magic, Finish Showcase 2-0 - Salt Lake City Stars
- Nets Unable to Hold off Clippers at 2021 NBA G League Winter Showcase - Long Island Nets
- Iowa Wolves Close Winter Show Case with 113-101 Win over Greensboro - Iowa Wolves
- Miami Heat Sign Squadron Forward Zylan Cheatham - Birmingham Squadron
- Legends Fall Short in Reach for Skyhawks - Texas Legends
- Blue Drop Vipers in OT Thriller to Advance in Showcase Cup - Oklahoma City Blue
- Blue Advances to Showcase Cup Championship Game - Oklahoma City Blue
- Mavericks Call up Agua Caliente Wing George King - Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario
- Hawks Call-Up Squadron Forward Malcolm Hill - Birmingham Squadron
- Tre Scott Gets NBA Call-Up from Cleveland Cavaliers - Cleveland Charge
- Knicks Close out Showcase on High Note; Top Capitanes by 10 - Westchester Knicks
- Force Completes Comeback, Defeats Kings 91-87 - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Stars Deadly from Deep, Cruise Past Charge - Salt Lake City Stars
- Magic Fall to Warriors at Winter Showcase - Lakeland Magic
- Eight Man Charge Fall in First Showcase Game - Cleveland Charge
- Jemerrio Jones Earns NBA Call-Up with Los Angeles Lakers - Wisconsin Herd
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.