Knicks Close out Showcase on High Note; Top Capitanes by 10
LAS VEGAS, NV - The Westchester Knicks, the official NBA G League affiliate of the New York Knicks, beat Capitanes de Ciudad de México (Mexico City Capitanes), 113-103, in its second and final game of the 2021 NBA G League Winter Showcase, Wednesday morning at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center. This brings Westchester's Showcase Cup record to 5-9 before the regular season commences.
Brandon Williams (tryout) tabbed a new career-high 29 points on 43.5-percent shooting to go along with four made triples on 57.1-percent, six assists, five rebounds, and three steals in his second consecutive start for Westchester (5-9). Three players recorded double-doubles in Alan Griffin (available player pool), 22 points and 10 rebounds, VJ King (returning rights), 17 points and 11 rebounds, and Aamir Simms (affiliate), 16 points and 11 rebounds. MJ Walker (affiliate) and Lydell Elmore (draft) also eclipsed double-figures scoring 15 and 10 points, respectively.
For the Capitanes (4-10), Jordan Howard erupted for 38 points on 57.7-percent. Rigoberto Mendoza poured in 17 points and dished nine assists. Mike Torres Cuevas poured in 15 points and Justin Reyes added 11.
Implemented for the first time this season, teams compete in the innovative Showcase Cup, a 14-game competition culminating at the NBA G League Winter Showcase from December 19-22. After the Showcase Cup, team records will reset, and a 36-game regular season will begin with teams split up into Eastern and Western Conferences.
The Knicks start the regular season and postseason chase December 28 at Lakeland for a 7 PM ET matchup.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 22, 2021
- Sacramento Kings Sign Ade Murkey to 10-Day Contract - Stockton Kings
- Stockton Kings Hold off Cleveland Charge in Final NBA G League Winter Showcase Game - Stockton Kings
- Stars Roll Past Magic, Finish Showcase 2-0 - Salt Lake City Stars
- Nets Unable to Hold off Clippers at 2021 NBA G League Winter Showcase - Long Island Nets
- Iowa Wolves Close Winter Show Case with 113-101 Win over Greensboro - Iowa Wolves
- Miami Heat Sign Squadron Forward Zylan Cheatham - Birmingham Squadron
- Legends Fall Short in Reach for Skyhawks - Texas Legends
- Blue Drop Vipers in OT Thriller to Advance in Showcase Cup - Oklahoma City Blue
- Blue Advances to Showcase Cup Championship Game - Oklahoma City Blue
- Mavericks Call up Agua Caliente Wing George King - Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario
- Hawks Call-Up Squadron Forward Malcolm Hill - Birmingham Squadron
- Tre Scott Gets NBA Call-Up from Cleveland Cavaliers - Cleveland Charge
- Knicks Close out Showcase on High Note; Top Capitanes by 10 - Westchester Knicks
- Force Completes Comeback, Defeats Kings 91-87 - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Stars Deadly from Deep, Cruise Past Charge - Salt Lake City Stars
- Magic Fall to Warriors at Winter Showcase - Lakeland Magic
- Eight Man Charge Fall in First Showcase Game - Cleveland Charge
- Jemerrio Jones Earns NBA Call-Up with Los Angeles Lakers - Wisconsin Herd
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Westchester Knicks Stories
- Westchester Knicks Announce 2022-23 Home Games to be Played at Total Mortgage Arena
- Knicks Fall to Mad Ants in Season Finale
- Knicks Squash Mad Ants 131-110 for Third Straight Win
- Knicks Complete Season Sweep of Charge 116-100
- Knicks Knock off Charge 120-110 in Matinee