Nets Unable to Hold off Clippers at 2021 NBA G League Winter Showcase
LAS VEGAS - The Long Island Nets (4-10), the NBA G League affiliate of the Brooklyn Nets, were defeated by the Agua Caliente Clippers (9-5) 102-95 Wednesday afternoon at Mandalay Bay Convention Center in Long Island's second NBA G League Winter Showcase matchup.
Long Island guard Bryce Brown had a strong game for the Nets, earning a game-high 36 points while shooting 14-of-19 from the field and 8-of-13 from the 3-point line in 38 minutes. Forward RaiQuan Gray grabbed a game-high 17 rebounds and dished a team-high nine assists to go along with three points and two blocks in 40 minutes of action.
In the first quarter, Long Island and Agua Caliente came out of the gate hot as both teams went point-for-point, tying the match 14-14 in the first seven minutes. Agua Caliente went on to finish the quarter up by one, 24-23. Long Island opened the second quarter determined to even the score, but the Clippers' fierce defense continued to thrive. The Nets trailed by three to close the first half, 53-50.
Long Island went into the second half going on a 11-0 run in the first four minutes of the third quarter. Despite a strong effort by the Nets, late buckets by Agua Caliente pushed the team past Long Island to close the third up by four, 69-65. Agua Caliente opened the last 12 minutes of play on a hot streak, going on a 6-0 run to widen the gap by seven, 86-79. The performance paid off for the Clippers when they defeated Long Island by seven, 102-95.
Agua Caliente guard Nate Darling earned 28 points, five rebounds and two assists in 42 minutes. Center Shevon Thompson grabbed 15 rebounds and earned 15 points in 33 minutes.
The Nets play their next game on the road against the Wisconsin Herd on Monday, Dec. 27, at 7 p.m. ET, while the Clippers will travel to face the Salt Lake City Stars on Wednesday, Dec. 29, at 6 p.m. PT.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 22, 2021
- Sacramento Kings Sign Ade Murkey to 10-Day Contract - Stockton Kings
- Stockton Kings Hold off Cleveland Charge in Final NBA G League Winter Showcase Game - Stockton Kings
- Stars Roll Past Magic, Finish Showcase 2-0 - Salt Lake City Stars
- Nets Unable to Hold off Clippers at 2021 NBA G League Winter Showcase - Long Island Nets
- Iowa Wolves Close Winter Show Case with 113-101 Win over Greensboro - Iowa Wolves
- Miami Heat Sign Squadron Forward Zylan Cheatham - Birmingham Squadron
- Legends Fall Short in Reach for Skyhawks - Texas Legends
- Blue Drop Vipers in OT Thriller to Advance in Showcase Cup - Oklahoma City Blue
- Blue Advances to Showcase Cup Championship Game - Oklahoma City Blue
- Mavericks Call up Agua Caliente Wing George King - Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario
- Hawks Call-Up Squadron Forward Malcolm Hill - Birmingham Squadron
- Tre Scott Gets NBA Call-Up from Cleveland Cavaliers - Cleveland Charge
- Knicks Close out Showcase on High Note; Top Capitanes by 10 - Westchester Knicks
- Force Completes Comeback, Defeats Kings 91-87 - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Stars Deadly from Deep, Cruise Past Charge - Salt Lake City Stars
- Magic Fall to Warriors at Winter Showcase - Lakeland Magic
- Eight Man Charge Fall in First Showcase Game - Cleveland Charge
- Jemerrio Jones Earns NBA Call-Up with Los Angeles Lakers - Wisconsin Herd
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.