Stanton Shuts Down Saltdogs to Win Duel
LINCOLN -- Taylor Stanton was fantastic, striking out nine in a five-hit shutout as the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks (27-18) blanked the Saltdogs (25-20) 3-0 in front of 3,254 fans at Haymarket Park Wednesday night.
Stanton (4-2) did not walk anyone, facing just three batters over the minimum in nine pristine innings, while fanning a season-high nine to earn the victory.
The RedHawks opened the game's scoring in the top of the fifth on a Zach Penprase two-out RBI single. Fargo-Moorhead would go on to add two more in eighth.
Stephen Bougher (1-1) pitched eight strong innings, allowing three runs on nine hits, walking zero and striking out three to suffer the loss.
This was the first time the Saltdogs have been shutout all season.
Matt Forgatch turned in the lone multi-hit performance for Lincoln, going 2-for-3.
The best chance the Saltdogs had to score came in the bottom of the eighth when Mike Provencher tripled to right center with one out. However, he was doubled off at home plate after Yasel Gomez grounded out to first to end Lincoln's rally.
The clubs are back at it Thursday night at 7:05 p.m. Ben Henry (0-2, 6.43) will face Alex Caldera (6-2, 2.91). Radio coverage begins at 6:35 p.m. on KFOR 1240.
July 4 is a "Thirsty Thursday" at Haymarket Park featuring $1 Busch Lights and Pepsis! Also, there will be a Independence Day Fireworks Spectacular following the game.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 3, 2013
- Mortensen Dominates in AirHogs Victory Over Wingnuts - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Explorers Split Doubleheader With Gary - Sioux City Explorers
- Fish Turn Tables on the Saints - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Blanked in Grand Prairie - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Whitewash Explorers to Gain Split - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Get Great Starting Pitching, But Can't Finish It off Losing on a Walk-Off 3-2 - St. Paul Saints
- Stanton Shuts Down Saltdogs to Win Duel - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Independence Day Celebration, Presented by Snapple and Cub Foods on July 6, Will Honor Disabl - St. Paul Saints
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - July 3rd, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- Amarillo Postponed Tonight, Doubleheader Set For Tomorrow - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Torbert to Be Inducted Into Canaries Hall of Fame - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Zavada Signed by Padres - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Williamson Solid to Start July - Laredo Lemurs
- Victory Slips Away in Extra Innings - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Late inning runs cost Diablos a win - El Paso Diablos
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Saints Breathe a Sigh of Relief as They Work Extras for 9-8 Win - St. Paul Saints
- RedHawks Pull Away Late to Take Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.