Zavada Signed by Padres
Sioux City, Iowa - RailCats closer Clay Zavada had his contract purchased by the San Diego Padres on Tuesday and will report to their double-A affiliate in San Antonio. In a corresponding move, the RailCats activated left-hander James Adkins from the disabled list.
Zavada becomes the 21st RailCat to be picked up by an affiliated organization since 2002. He is the first to be signed by an affiliated organization off the RailCats roster since left-handed pitcher Brad Furnish was signed by the Florida Marlins in December, 2010.
At the time of his purchase, Zavada was tied for second in the league in wins with 6. In 16 and 1/3 innings, he allowed 10 hits, three runs, six walks and struck out 18. Clay allowed runs in only one appearance as a RailCat, on May 26th at Kansas City.
He is currently riding a team-high 11 inning scoreless streak and leads the team with a 1.65 ERA.
In eight appearances at U. S. Steel Yard, Zavada allowed just four hits, one walk and struck out 11 in 8 and 1/3 innings.
It is the second time in Clay's career that he has been signed by an affiliated team. In 2008, as a member of the Southern Illinois Miners of the Frontier League, Zavada was signed by the Arizona Diamondbacks. Clay pitched in 49 games for the Diamondbacks major-league club in 2009; he went 3-3 with a 3.35 ERA.
The RailCats activated left-hander James Adkins from the disabled list. He was placed on the DL on June 22nd with a tired arm.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 3, 2013
- Mortensen Dominates in AirHogs Victory Over Wingnuts - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Explorers Split Doubleheader With Gary - Sioux City Explorers
- Fish Turn Tables on the Saints - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Blanked in Grand Prairie - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Whitewash Explorers to Gain Split - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Get Great Starting Pitching, But Can't Finish It off Losing on a Walk-Off 3-2 - St. Paul Saints
- Stanton Shuts Down Saltdogs to Win Duel - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Independence Day Celebration, Presented by Snapple and Cub Foods on July 6, Will Honor Disabl - St. Paul Saints
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - July 3rd, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- Amarillo Postponed Tonight, Doubleheader Set For Tomorrow - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Torbert to Be Inducted Into Canaries Hall of Fame - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Zavada Signed by Padres - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Williamson Solid to Start July - Laredo Lemurs
- Victory Slips Away in Extra Innings - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Late inning runs cost Diablos a win - El Paso Diablos
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Saints Breathe a Sigh of Relief as They Work Extras for 9-8 Win - St. Paul Saints
- RedHawks Pull Away Late to Take Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats Announce Full Schedule and Opening Day for 2020 Season
- RailCats Season Pass Offers Unlimited Fun in All-New General Admission Seat
- RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0
- Lubking, De Jesus Lead 'Cats to 3-1 Victory over Saltdogs in Penultimate Game
- Griffin, Bullpen Blank Saltdogs,2-0, in Series Opener