RedHawks Pull Away Late to Take Opener
LINCOLN -- C.J. Retherford hit a go-ahead home run in the eighth and the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks (26-18) poured it on in the ninth in a 11-2 victory over the Saltdogs (25-19) in front of 2,756 fans at Haymarket Park Tuesday night.
The RedHawks scored 11 unanswered runs after Lincoln had built a 2-0 lead going in to the fifth inning.
Fargo-Moorhead scored a run in the fifth and tied the game in the seventh on a Todd Jennings RBI single.
Joe Harris (4-3) pitched 1 1/3 innings, allowing a hit with a walk and a strikeout to earn the victory in relief. Stayton Thomas (1-1) surrendered two runs on two hits in 1 2/3 innings to suffer the loss.
David Espinosa hit a solo home run in the third, his sixth of the season in a 2-for-3 effort. Jeff Squier registered his first multi-hit performance in a Saltdogs uniform.
Moises Melendez pitched 6 1/3 strong innings, allowing two runs on five hits and did not factor in to the decision for Lincoln.
The clubs are back at it Wednesday night at 6:05 p.m. for game two of the four-game series. Stephen Bougher (1-0, 1.50) will face Taylor Stanton (3-2, 3.38). Radio coverage begins at 5:35 p.m. on KFOR 1240.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 3, 2013
- Mortensen Dominates in AirHogs Victory Over Wingnuts - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Explorers Split Doubleheader With Gary - Sioux City Explorers
- Fish Turn Tables on the Saints - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Blanked in Grand Prairie - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Whitewash Explorers to Gain Split - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Get Great Starting Pitching, But Can't Finish It off Losing on a Walk-Off 3-2 - St. Paul Saints
- Stanton Shuts Down Saltdogs to Win Duel - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Independence Day Celebration, Presented by Snapple and Cub Foods on July 6, Will Honor Disabl - St. Paul Saints
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - July 3rd, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- Amarillo Postponed Tonight, Doubleheader Set For Tomorrow - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Torbert to Be Inducted Into Canaries Hall of Fame - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Zavada Signed by Padres - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Williamson Solid to Start July - Laredo Lemurs
- Victory Slips Away in Extra Innings - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Late inning runs cost Diablos a win - El Paso Diablos
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Saints Breathe a Sigh of Relief as They Work Extras for 9-8 Win - St. Paul Saints
- RedHawks Pull Away Late to Take Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.