Saints Get Great Starting Pitching, But Can't Finish It off Losing on a Walk-Off 3-2
WINNIPEG, MB (July 3, 2013) - The walk-off losses on the road are becoming tougher and tougher to swallow for the St. Paul Saints. On Wednesday night at Shaw Park the Saints watched the Winnipeg Goldeyes score two runs in the bottom of the ninth inning to lose 3-2.
Both teams ran through their bullpen on Tuesday night, so both starters needed to go deep into the ballgame and did just that. The Saints got a superb outing by Anthony Claggett while the Goldeyes countered with a strong performance from Pete Gehle. The Saints were able to jump out to a 1-0 lead in the fourth when Joey Becker doubled to left-center. He moved to third on a fly out by Brad Boyer. After Willie Cabrera walked Brandon Tripp hit a slow roller to second. Cabrera put on the brakes forcing Amos Ramon to chase after him, which allowed Tripp to race down the line. By the time Cabrera was tagged out the throw to first was too late and Becker scored to give the Saints a 1-0 lead.
It stayed that way until the seventh when Jose Hernandez drove a pitch over the left-center field wall, a solo shot, his second of the season, to make it 2-0. Gehle went 7.2 innings allowing two runs on six hits while walking one and striking out three.
Claggett utilized the double play to his advantage. In the first five innings he allowed the leadoff man to reach four times, but in the third, fourth and fifth inning he was able to erase that leadoff man with a double play.
Claggett's luck ran out in the seventh when Josh Mazzola led off with a double, With two outs and Mazzola at third Luis Alen roped a double off the wall in left to score Mazzola and make it 2-1. Claggett would go a season high 8.0 innings allowing one run on five hits while walking two and striking out three.
In the bottom of the ninth the Saints brought on closer Matt Meyer. He got ahead of the leadoff hitter Casey Haerther 1-2, but Haerther blooped a single down the right field line. Mazzola walked to put runners at first and second. Fehlandt Lentini stepped to the plate and showed bunt, but took the first pitch for a strike. He then swung away on the next pitch knocking home pinch runner Jordan Guida to tie the game at two. Then controversy ensued when Ryan Scoma laid down a bunt just in front of the plate. Catcher Dwight Childs picked up the ball and threw to third where shortstop Adam Frost was covering. The third base umpire ruled Frost came up off the bag and called Mazzola safe. Saints manager George Tsamis stormed out of the dugout to argue and was thrown out. The next hitter Luis Alen then singled to right-center on a 3-2 pitch for the game winning hit.
The same two teams meet in the third game of the four game series on Thursday night at 7:05 p.m. at Shaw Park. The Saints are TBA while the Goldeyes send LHP Mark Hardy (4-2, 2.81). The game can be heard on Club 1220 AM. If the game isn't over at 10:00 p.m. Club 1220 will broadcast the music for the Stillwater 4th of July fireworks show and the Saints game will switch to internet only which can be heard on saintsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 3, 2013
- Mortensen Dominates in AirHogs Victory Over Wingnuts - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Explorers Split Doubleheader With Gary - Sioux City Explorers
- Fish Turn Tables on the Saints - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Blanked in Grand Prairie - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Whitewash Explorers to Gain Split - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Get Great Starting Pitching, But Can't Finish It off Losing on a Walk-Off 3-2 - St. Paul Saints
- Stanton Shuts Down Saltdogs to Win Duel - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Independence Day Celebration, Presented by Snapple and Cub Foods on July 6, Will Honor Disabl - St. Paul Saints
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - July 3rd, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- Amarillo Postponed Tonight, Doubleheader Set For Tomorrow - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Torbert to Be Inducted Into Canaries Hall of Fame - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Zavada Signed by Padres - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Williamson Solid to Start July - Laredo Lemurs
- Victory Slips Away in Extra Innings - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Late inning runs cost Diablos a win - El Paso Diablos
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Saints Breathe a Sigh of Relief as They Work Extras for 9-8 Win - St. Paul Saints
- RedHawks Pull Away Late to Take Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Another Cinderella Winner, Curt McKay of Centerville Claims Saints $10,000 NCAA Tournament Prize
- Saints NCAA Tournament Promotion Nets One Lucky Fan $10,000, Live Drawing March 20 at 1 p.m. Central on Social Media
- Right, Left, Right, Saints Re-Sign Pitchers Nittoli and Frosch, Sign Triple-A Reliever Wheeler
- What Animals, Saints 2018 Promotions Schedule Highlighted by Ballpark Wide Food Fight
- Saints to Induct Three Deserving Pigs into "Monument Pork"