Explorers Split Doubleheader With Gary
Sioux City-----Before the largest crowd of the season at Lewis and Clark Park 3,463, the Explorers split a doubleheader with Gary SouthShore Wednesday.
The Explorers took the opening game 4-2 as Leugim Barroso hit a two-run home run in the fifth inning to break a 2-2 tie and gave the Explorers the win. It was Barroso's first career home run.
Andy Noga started and pitched six innings to pick up his second win of the year while Chris Bodishbaugh pitched the final inning to notch his tenth save of the season.
In the second game, former Explorer, Alain Quijano shutout the Explorers on six hits in winning 4-0. Quijano has faced his former teammates twice this season and in 15 innings against the Explorers has not allowed a run. The Explorers only had two runners reach second base. One of them, Yusuke Inoguchi doubled with two outs in the seventh and was thrown out at third base trying to stretch a double into a triple for the final out of the game.
The Explorers and Gary will meet again Thursday night at Lewis and Clark Park with game time set for 7:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 3, 2013
- Mortensen Dominates in AirHogs Victory Over Wingnuts - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Explorers Split Doubleheader With Gary - Sioux City Explorers
- Fish Turn Tables on the Saints - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Blanked in Grand Prairie - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Whitewash Explorers to Gain Split - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Get Great Starting Pitching, But Can't Finish It off Losing on a Walk-Off 3-2 - St. Paul Saints
- Stanton Shuts Down Saltdogs to Win Duel - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Independence Day Celebration, Presented by Snapple and Cub Foods on July 6, Will Honor Disabl - St. Paul Saints
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - July 3rd, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- Amarillo Postponed Tonight, Doubleheader Set For Tomorrow - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Torbert to Be Inducted Into Canaries Hall of Fame - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Zavada Signed by Padres - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Williamson Solid to Start July - Laredo Lemurs
- Victory Slips Away in Extra Innings - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Late inning runs cost Diablos a win - El Paso Diablos
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Saints Breathe a Sigh of Relief as They Work Extras for 9-8 Win - St. Paul Saints
- RedHawks Pull Away Late to Take Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.