Torbert to Be Inducted Into Canaries Hall of Fame
SIOUX FALLS - One of the greatest hitters in team history will have permanent recognition come Monday.
The Sioux Falls Canaries announced on Wednesday that former outfielder and designated hitter Beau Torbert will be inducted into the Sioux Falls Pro Baseball Hall of Fame in a pregame ceremony on Monday, July 8. Torbert's number 7 jersey will also be retired with a permanent display on the outfield wall of Sioux Falls Stadium.
The ceremony will take place just prior to the first pitch of the Canaries game against the Lincoln Saltdogs, scheduled for 7:05 p.m. During the game fans can interact with the Canaries on Twitter and have a chance to meet Torbert during the game.
Torbert played three seasons in Sioux Falls from 2008-2010, and he became the most decorated hitter in franchise history. He was a two-time American Association Player of the Year in 2008 and 2010, and he earned independent baseball's highest prize in 2010, Baseball America's Independent Player of the Year.
Torbert owns numerous team records, including a .358 career batting average in Sioux Falls. In 2010, Torbert posted one of the best offensive outputs in the history of the league. He won the batting title with a .394 batting average, a team record and a league record at the time. He finished second in the league with 24 home runs, and his 100 RBI was tops in the league and a new team record. Torbert amassed 155 hits for the season, breaking the previous league record. He collected 51 multi-hit games during the year, including seven four-hit games. Torbert also established a team record for doubles in a season (38) and a league record for total bases in one season (269).
Tickets for Monday's game can be purchased through the Sioux Falls Canaries box office. The Canaries begin an eight-game homestand on Saturday, July 6. For more information, fans can call the Canaries at (605) 336-6060 or visit www.sfcanaries.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 3, 2013
- Mortensen Dominates in AirHogs Victory Over Wingnuts - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Explorers Split Doubleheader With Gary - Sioux City Explorers
- Fish Turn Tables on the Saints - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Blanked in Grand Prairie - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Whitewash Explorers to Gain Split - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Get Great Starting Pitching, But Can't Finish It off Losing on a Walk-Off 3-2 - St. Paul Saints
- Stanton Shuts Down Saltdogs to Win Duel - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Independence Day Celebration, Presented by Snapple and Cub Foods on July 6, Will Honor Disabl - St. Paul Saints
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - July 3rd, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- Amarillo Postponed Tonight, Doubleheader Set For Tomorrow - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Torbert to Be Inducted Into Canaries Hall of Fame - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Zavada Signed by Padres - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Williamson Solid to Start July - Laredo Lemurs
- Victory Slips Away in Extra Innings - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Late inning runs cost Diablos a win - El Paso Diablos
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Saints Breathe a Sigh of Relief as They Work Extras for 9-8 Win - St. Paul Saints
- RedHawks Pull Away Late to Take Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.