Late inning runs cost Diablos a win
El Paso, TX- The Diablos lose a tough fought pitching duel, due to costly late inning runs by the Laredo Lemurs, who take the first game of a four game series against the Diablos 9-4.
Both teams started off with superb pitching, starting pitcher Michael Joyce went 5.0 innings, only giving up two runs on four hits, with three strikeouts. Contrary to the Diablos great pitching and defense the Diablos offense stalled throughout the game only contributing four runs on 10 hits.
The game was tied going into the eighth inning, but the Lemurs took a commanding 8-2 lead after a six run eighth inning, then one more run in the ninth inning to extend the lead to seven, the Diablos fought back as they always do scoring two runs in the bottom of the ninth before they finally lost by a final score of 9-4.
The Diablos are now 10-35 this season with three more games against the Laredo Lemurs in their four game series. The Diablos play tomorrow night against Laredo; 7:05 here at Cohen Stadium!
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 3, 2013
- Mortensen Dominates in AirHogs Victory Over Wingnuts - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Explorers Split Doubleheader With Gary - Sioux City Explorers
- Fish Turn Tables on the Saints - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Blanked in Grand Prairie - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Whitewash Explorers to Gain Split - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Get Great Starting Pitching, But Can't Finish It off Losing on a Walk-Off 3-2 - St. Paul Saints
- Stanton Shuts Down Saltdogs to Win Duel - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Independence Day Celebration, Presented by Snapple and Cub Foods on July 6, Will Honor Disabl - St. Paul Saints
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - July 3rd, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- Amarillo Postponed Tonight, Doubleheader Set For Tomorrow - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Torbert to Be Inducted Into Canaries Hall of Fame - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Zavada Signed by Padres - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Williamson Solid to Start July - Laredo Lemurs
- Victory Slips Away in Extra Innings - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Late inning runs cost Diablos a win - El Paso Diablos
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Saints Breathe a Sigh of Relief as They Work Extras for 9-8 Win - St. Paul Saints
- RedHawks Pull Away Late to Take Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.