SRFC Trio Wrap up First Round World Cup Qualifying
Republic FC players Kharlton Belmar, Rafael Diaz and Shannon Gomez will all return to the Indomitable Club following national team duty during FIFA World Cup Qualifier play.
Yesterday, all three of players' countries were in action against fellow Concacaf competition as each nation chased the top spot in their groups. Only the first-place team in each group advances to the two-leg second round.
Gomez's Trinidad and Tobago bagged a 2-0 win over St. Kitts and Nevis and ultimately finished second in Group F. Gomez didn't appear in the recent win, but the Republic FC fullback did feature last Saturday in the Soca Warriors' 0-0 draw against the Bahamas where he made his first-ever World Cup Qualifier start for his country.
Diaz's Dominican Republic also took second in Group D after falling to the table-toppers, Panama, 3-0 on Tuesday. Diaz manned the net for the D.R. during each his country's four WCQ fixtures including a recent 1-1 draw against Barbados last Friday.
Belmar and the Grenada National Team - who finished fourth in Group A - surrendered two late goals on Tuesday to fall to Montserrat, 2-1, with the SRFC striker entering the match as a second half substitute. Last Friday, Belmar started for the Spice Boyz and played 64 minutes during his sides' 1-0 defeat at the hands of Antigua and Barbuda.
The second round of Concacaf World Cup Qualifiers are scheduled to kickoff this weekend with all three first legs set to take place on Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 10, 2021
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Miami FC - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- What to Watch this Weekend Across the USL: Week 8 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Santi Moar Named USL Player of the Month - Phoenix Rising FC
- SD Loyal to Host Club Tijuana Xolos in International Friendly - San Diego Loyal
- Energy FC Brings Back Club Legend Gareth Evans as Assistant Coach - OKC Energy FC
- The Canterbury Football Club and Glendale Soccer Association Become Newest Members of Indy Eleven Youth Soccer Program - Indy Eleven
- Three Takeaways from #SLCvSAC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Phoenix's Own, Tate Schmitt Joins Rising FC on Loan from Major League Soccer Side Real Salt Lake - Phoenix Rising FC
- Phoenix's Santi Moar Voted Championship's Player of the Month - USL
- Muir Orthopaedic Specialists to Serve as Oakland Roots Official Team Physician Partner - Oakland Roots
- Lights FC Head Coach Cherundolo Inducted into National Soccer Hall of Fame - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC at Las Vegas Lights - San Antonio FC
- Hartford Athletic to Host Western Mass Pioneers in Friendly - Hartford Athletic
- Oakland Roots Partners with Anthem, Puma and Town Kitchen to Support Youth Soccer in Oakland - Oakland Roots
- SRFC Trio Wrap up First Round World Cup Qualifying - Sacramento Republic FC
- Republic FC fall on the road to the 2019 USL title-winners - Sacramento Republic FC
- Real Monarchs Earn First Victory of 2021, Topping Sacramento Republic FC 2-0 - Real Monarchs SLC
- El Paso Locomotive Dismantles Indy Eleven, 2-0 - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Tumi Moshobane Scores in SD Loyal Draw against Orange County SC - San Diego Loyal
- Goalkeeper Jordan Farr's Six Saves Not Enough to Stop El Paso Attack - Indy Eleven
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Sacramento grabs three points behind Felipe's first career brace
- Kibunguchy Header Wins Fans' Choice Goal of the Week
- Republic FC Extends Seven USL Academy Contracts, Prepares Nine Players for Collegiate Soccer
- Match Preview: Republic FC V New York Red Bulls II
- What to Watch Around the USL: Week 15