El Paso Locomotive Dismantles Indy Eleven, 2-0
EL PASO, Texas - El Paso Locomotive earned a full three points with 2-0 victory over Eastern Conference foe Indy Eleven on Wednesday. Midfielder Nick Ross got the ball rolling early with a goal in the second minute while Midfielder Diego Luna recorded his second goal in as many starts in the 49'. Goalkeeper Logan Ketterer also made his return to the El Paso goal, making two saves to earn the fourth straight clean sheet for El Paso.
"Best performance of the season. Completely dominant from start to finish," stated Head Coach Mark Lowry post-game. "I cannot fault the guys at all in any department. The only thing I think the game deserved was more goals from us. 2-0 maybe flatters [Indy Eleven] a little bit. If we want to be the best - which we want to be, we strive for it every single day - when you dominated like that you need it's to show 4 or 5-0 at the end of the game. That's the only frustration I have and it is because we want to be great. We are five unbeaten this season but we're never content and that's the attitude we have to have every single day."
Ross kicked off the match quick, connecting with a cross from Defender Macca King and the flicked back header from Forward Lucho Solignac to rifle one in the opening minutes. Indy Eleven was left chasing the game through the first half, however, their first-half possession was left wanting, while Locomotive's attack tested the Indy defense.
While Locomotive made the most of its attack through to the end of the first half, it would not extend its lead until shortly after the opening whistle in the second. Luna from distance took a low shot that skipped across the field and out of reach of Indy Eleven goalkeeper Jordan Farr. The Locos squad continued its offensive while putting on a defensive display that has come to be expected of the Sun City team to shut down Indy and come away with three points at Southwest University Park.
UP NEXT: El Paso Locomotive plays a quick turnaround, welcoming Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC to Southwest University Park on Saturday, June 12. Kickoff from El Paso is set for 7:30 p.m. MT and tickets are available for purchase both online and by phone by calling 915-235-GOAL.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN
ELP: Nick Ross (Lucho Solignac, Macca King), 2nd minute: Starting off quickly again, King took a ball down the right side, sending in what is now becoming his trademark cross into the penalty area. At the center of the box, Lucho headed the ball back to Nick Ross, who settled the ball before rifling the shot off the bar and over the goal line.
ELP: Diego Luna (Macca King), 49th minute: Taking the short pass from King early in the second half, Luna took a shot on goal from 20-yards out, skipping the ball low on the ground destined for the near-post corner. While the ball took a small bounce off a defender's foot, it proved to be enough to slip past the Eleven goalkeeper and put Locomotive up two.
- Goalkeeper Logan Ketterer makes his homecoming in goal for El Paso Locomotive with his first start since going on loan to MLS club, Portland Timbers in May.
- Midfielder Nick Ross recorded his first goal in the 2021 season with a 2nd-minute stunner to provide El Paso with an early lead ad sending Indy Eleven into chasing the game.
- El Paso Locomotive continues its run of streaks, extending its home undefeated record to 12 (10-0-2) with its 4th straight clean sheet.
Match: El Paso Locomotive vs Indy Eleven
Date: June 9, 2021
Venue: Southwest University Park; El Paso, Texas
Weather: 100F; Bright Sunny Skies
Scoring Summary 1 2 F
El Paso Locomotive FC 1 1 2
Indy Eleven 0 0 0
ELP - Nick Ross (Lucho Solignac, Macca King), 2'
ELP - Diego Luna (Macca King), 49'
El Paso Locomotive FC (4-4-2): Logan Ketterer; Eder Borelli, Yuma, Mechack Jerome, Macca King (Leandro Carrijo, 76'), Richie Ryan, Nick Ross, Bryam Rebellon, Diego Luna (Matt Bahner, 90'), Lucho Solignac, Dylan Mares (Aaron Gomez, 66')
Subs not used: Ben Beaury, Chapa Herrera, Jose Aguinaga, Aidan Apodaca
Indy Eleven (3-4-3): Jordan Farr; Jared Trimmer, A.J. Cochran, Karl Ouimette (Ayoze, 61'), Patrick Seagrist, Gershon Koffie (Jerimiah Gutjahr, 45'), Cameron Smith, Gordon Wild (Aboubacar Sissoko, 85'), Nick Moon (Manuel Arteaga, 61'), Nicky Law (Peter-Lee Vassell, 78'), Jordan Hamilton
Subs not used: Nedeljko Malic, Robert Edwards
Stats Summary: ELP | IND
Shots:17 | 6
Shots on Goal: 8 | 2
Saves: 2 | 6
Corner Kicks: 3 | 3
Fouls: 12 | 14
Offside: 2 | 2
IND - Gershon Koffie (Caution), 6'
IND - Cameron Smith (Caution), 40'
IND - Karl Ouimette (Caution), 44'
ELP - Bryam Rebellon (Caution), 57'
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 10, 2021
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Miami FC - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- What to Watch this Weekend Across the USL: Week 8 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Santi Moar Named USL Player of the Month - Phoenix Rising FC
- SD Loyal to Host Club Tijuana Xolos in International Friendly - San Diego Loyal
- Energy FC Brings Back Club Legend Gareth Evans as Assistant Coach - OKC Energy FC
- The Canterbury Football Club and Glendale Soccer Association Become Newest Members of Indy Eleven Youth Soccer Program - Indy Eleven
- Three Takeaways from #SLCvSAC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Phoenix's Own, Tate Schmitt Joins Rising FC on Loan from Major League Soccer Side Real Salt Lake - Phoenix Rising FC
- Phoenix's Santi Moar Voted Championship's Player of the Month - USL
- Muir Orthopaedic Specialists to Serve as Oakland Roots Official Team Physician Partner - Oakland Roots
- Lights FC Head Coach Cherundolo Inducted into National Soccer Hall of Fame - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC at Las Vegas Lights - San Antonio FC
- Hartford Athletic to Host Western Mass Pioneers in Friendly - Hartford Athletic
- Oakland Roots Partners with Anthem, Puma and Town Kitchen to Support Youth Soccer in Oakland - Oakland Roots
- SRFC Trio Wrap up First Round World Cup Qualifying - Sacramento Republic FC
- Republic FC fall on the road to the 2019 USL title-winners - Sacramento Republic FC
- Real Monarchs Earn First Victory of 2021, Topping Sacramento Republic FC 2-0 - Real Monarchs SLC
- El Paso Locomotive Dismantles Indy Eleven, 2-0 - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Tumi Moshobane Scores in SD Loyal Draw against Orange County SC - San Diego Loyal
- Goalkeeper Jordan Farr's Six Saves Not Enough to Stop El Paso Attack - Indy Eleven
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent El Paso Locomotive FC Stories
- El Paso Locomotive Dismantle Real Monarchs in 3-1 Win Saturday
- El Paso Locomotive Down San Antonio FC, 2-1
- El Paso Locomotive Plays to Scoreless Draw with New Mexico United
- El Paso Locomotive Shuts out Las Vegas Lights FC, 1-0
- El Paso Locomotive Finish Real Monarchs, 3-1