Energy FC Brings Back Club Legend Gareth Evans as Assistant Coach
OKLAHOMA CITY - Energy FC has signed Gareth Evans to the coaching staff, the club announced today. Evans made 54 appearances for OKC in 2014 and 2015 before transitioning to a coaching role with the club's youth partner, Oklahoma Energy FC.
"I don't think I realized quite how much I missed being around a pro environment," said Evans. "It's been five years now, which makes me feel old. There are still some familiar faces around, and I still know some of the boys from playing here or elsewhere in the past, so it's good to be back in the mix.
"There's a lot of talent and potential here. We've been a little unlucky with injuries, with some important players who have barely been able to play, but it's a great group of guys who work hard and practice has been fantastic this week."
A native of Wrexham, Wales, Evans played professionally for a number of clubs in the United Kingdom and the United States before signing with Energy FC ahead of the inaugural 2014 season. During his time in OKC, "Gaz" was Vice Captain of the squad, led the team in minutes played and helped lead the team to the 2015 USL Championship Western Conference Final.
Energy FC continues the 2021 season Saturday, June 12 at 7:30 p.m. at Taft Stadium against Birmingham Legion FC. This match will be the club's annual Pride Night celebration which will include a special rendition of the national anthem, Pride-themed deÌcor, rainbow smoke bombs for the supporters and more from our 2SLGBTQ+ Supporters Group, Main Street Greens. The club will also participate in OKC Pride Fest on June 25, 26 and 27.
Tickets for Pride Night can be purchased at energyfctix.com/pride with $2 from each going directly to the OKC Pride Alliance. In addition, Energy FC Pride shirts and scarves have been created with 20% of proceeds also benefitting the OKC Pride Alliance.
The full season schedule can be viewed and downloaded to digitally add to your device at energyfc.com/2021-schedule.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 10, 2021
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Miami FC - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- What to Watch this Weekend Across the USL: Week 8 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Santi Moar Named USL Player of the Month - Phoenix Rising FC
- SD Loyal to Host Club Tijuana Xolos in International Friendly - San Diego Loyal
- Energy FC Brings Back Club Legend Gareth Evans as Assistant Coach - OKC Energy FC
- The Canterbury Football Club and Glendale Soccer Association Become Newest Members of Indy Eleven Youth Soccer Program - Indy Eleven
- Three Takeaways from #SLCvSAC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Phoenix's Own, Tate Schmitt Joins Rising FC on Loan from Major League Soccer Side Real Salt Lake - Phoenix Rising FC
- Phoenix's Santi Moar Voted Championship's Player of the Month - USL
- Muir Orthopaedic Specialists to Serve as Oakland Roots Official Team Physician Partner - Oakland Roots
- Lights FC Head Coach Cherundolo Inducted into National Soccer Hall of Fame - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC at Las Vegas Lights - San Antonio FC
- Hartford Athletic to Host Western Mass Pioneers in Friendly - Hartford Athletic
- Oakland Roots Partners with Anthem, Puma and Town Kitchen to Support Youth Soccer in Oakland - Oakland Roots
- SRFC Trio Wrap up First Round World Cup Qualifying - Sacramento Republic FC
- Republic FC fall on the road to the 2019 USL title-winners - Sacramento Republic FC
- Real Monarchs Earn First Victory of 2021, Topping Sacramento Republic FC 2-0 - Real Monarchs SLC
- El Paso Locomotive Dismantles Indy Eleven, 2-0 - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Tumi Moshobane Scores in SD Loyal Draw against Orange County SC - San Diego Loyal
- Goalkeeper Jordan Farr's Six Saves Not Enough to Stop El Paso Attack - Indy Eleven
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.