Squirrels To Send VCU Rams Off To NCAA Regionals
The Richmond Flying Squirrels, Double-A affiliate of the San Francisco Giants, have announced that they will be sending the 2010 Colonial Athletic Association Champion VCU Rams Baseball Team off on Wednesday Night to the NCAA Baseball Regionals.
The sendoff will take place at The Diamond at 6:30 PM during pre-game festivities before the Flying Squirrels' 7:05 PM game against the Harrisburg Senators. The Diamond has served as the home venue this season for both the Flying Squirrels and the VCU Rams.
The entire Rams roster will be introduced to the crowd before proceeding to walk down the right field line to the bus for their departure to Regionals. VCU has achieved a 34-24-1 record this year, as well as a CAA Tournament Championship, under the guidance of CAA Co-Coach of the Year Paul Keyes.
"We really feel like it's appropriate to honor the VCU Rams baseball team and all they have accomplished this season," said Flying Squirrels' Vice President & COO Todd "Parney" Parnell. "Rams baseball is a large part of the baseball experience at The Diamond, and it is fitting that we have the opportunity to show them the appreciation we have for them."
The Rams drew a fourth-seed in the Charlottesville Regional, taking on in-state rival and #1 seed Virginia at 4:00 PM on Friday in the first round of the NCAA tournament. The University of Virginia won 9-5 in the last meeting between the two teams earlier this season. The winner of Friday's game will take on the winner of St. John's and Ole Miss.
Wednesday night at The Diamond is also scheduled to feature a Water Bottle Giveaway presented by Woodfin. The first 3,000 fans of all ages through the gates will receive a water bottle.
Great seats still remain for the Flying Squirrels game and the VCU Rams' sendoff. Tickets can be purchased online at SquirrelsBaseball.com, by calling (804) 359-FUNN(3866), or by visiting the Flying Squirrels' ticket office located at The Diamond.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 1, 2010
- Espino Stars in Relief as Aeros Win 5-3 - Akron RubberDucks
- Baysox Overcome B-Mets' Boomers - Bowie Baysox
- Evans Rocks Two Homers, B-Mets Fall 7-2 at Bowie - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Shawn Bowman Drives in Four Runs for Fisher Cats - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Trenton Scores Late To Beat Portland 6-2 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Curve Take Game One vs New Britain, 4-1 - Altoona Curve
- Thunder Come from Behind to Beat Portland - Trenton Thunder
- Senators Shackle Squirrels in Game One, 4-1 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rock Cats Downed by Altoona, 4-1 - New Britain Rock Cats
- 'Wolves Offense Struggles in Opener at Akron - Erie SeaWolves
- Rock Cats Catcher Goes to Disabled List - New Britain Rock Cats
- Rock Cats Catcher Goes To Disabled List - New Britain Rock Cats
- Rock Cats 5th Homestand of 2010 Season Gets Underway Tonight - New Britain Rock Cats
- Altoona Curve Make Roster Moves - Altoona Curve
- Vazquez Transferred To Trenton; Smith To DL - Trenton Thunder
- SeaWolves Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Aeros Game Notes - Akron RubberDucks
- Aeros Make Roster Transactions - Akron RubberDucks
- Thunder's Laird EL Player Of The Week - Trenton Thunder
- Tim Alderson Named E.L. Pitcher Of The Week - Altoona Curve
- Kalish Promoted To Triple-A Pawtucket - Portland Sea Dogs
- Gluttony Night Returns Tonight - Reading Fightin Phils
- Eastern League Pitcher-Player Of The Week Awards Week Ending May 30th - Trenton Thunder
- Grant Duff Returns To Trenton - Trenton Thunder
- Squirrels To Send VCU Rams Off To NCAA Regionals - Richmond Flying Squirrels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.