Squirrels Blast Three Home Runs in Season-Ending Win
RICHMOND, Va. - Brandon Van Horn, Jose Layer and Heliot Ramos each hit a home run as part of a six-run, fourth inning to lead the Richmond Flying Squirrels over the Bowie Baysox, 7-1, on Monday afternoon at The Diamond.
Richmond (55-84, 32-40) welcomed 6,631 fans to The Diamond for the season finale, bringing the total season attendance to 400,321. It was the first season since 2015 that the Flying Squirrels welcomed over 400,000 fans to The Diamond.
For the sixth time in franchise history, the Flying Squirrels finished the season first in the Eastern League in overall attendance (6,255). It was the highest average attendance since 2014.
The Flying Squirrels finished the season with an overall record of 55-84, winning seven of the final eight games and four of the last five series.
Richmond took the lead in the bottom of the first inning when Bryce Johnson singled and later scored on an RBI double by Jalen Miller. It was Miller's team-leading 48th RBI of the season.
Leading, 1-0, over Bowie (76-64, 46-26) in the fourth inning, Van Horn and Layer smacked back-to-back home runs against Alex Wells (Loss, 8-6) to extend the Flying Squirrels' lead. Van Horn's two-run shot was his first Double-A home run and Layer's solo homer was his first Double-A home run.
Matt Winn drew a walk ahead of Van Horn's homer. He went 2-for-3 with two doubles.
Later in the inning, Ramos over the left-field fence for a three-run homer to put Richmond up, 7-0. It was the third home run of the inning for the Flying Squirrels, a new season high. Richmond tied a season high with six runs in the frame.
Caleb Baragar (Win, 5-5) tossed five scoreless innings to finish his season, striking out six and walking one with two hits allowed. Baragar finished the year with a .192 batting average against, the lowest in Flying Squirrels single-season franchise history.
Alfred Gutierrez (Save, 1) allowed a run in the ninth, but completed the final four innings to secure the win.
The 2020 Flying Squirrels season begins on Thursday, April 9 at Prince George's Stadium against the Bowie Baysox. Richmond will play 70 games at The Diamond in 2020, beginning with the home opener on Thursday, April 16 at 6:35 p.m. against the Baysox. A full overview of the 2020 schedule can be found here.
For tickets or more information, call 804-359-3866 (FUNN), visit SquirrelsBaseball.com/Tickets or stop by the Flying Squirrels box office.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from September 2, 2019
- Six-Run Frame Sinks Baysox, 7-1 - Bowie Baysox
- Yard Goats Rally Falls Short in 4-3 Loss - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Win Season Finale, Take Three of Four from Yard Goats - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- RubberDucks Shutout to End Season - Akron RubberDucks
- Portland Drops the '19 Finale in 10-Innings, 8-7 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Reading Fights Back, Falls in Final Tuneup, 8-7 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Thunder Win Finale on Walkoff Single - Trenton Thunder
- Squirrels Blast Three Home Runs in Season-Ending Win - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Statements on the Passing of Chace Numata - Erie SeaWolves
- Curve Close Season with 1-0 Loss at Harrisburg - Altoona Curve
- Senators Close Regular Season by Sweeping Altoona - Harrisburg Senators
- Holder, Alvarez, Gittens, Saez Take Home End of Season Awards - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs Announce 2019 Team Awards - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #140: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (31-44, 66-73) vs. Hartford Yard Goats (36-35, 73-65) - 1:05 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes September 2nd vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Baysox Clinch Playoff Berth - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Richmond Flying Squirrels Stories
- Fireworks, 'The Sandlot' at the Diamond on October 17
- Flying Squirrels Opening 'Diamond Disc Golf' at the Ballpark
- Flying Squirrels, Elephant Insurance Looking for Fans to 'Bring the Heat'
- Flying Squirrels July 4th Celebration Honored as MiLB's July Promotion of the Month
- Squirrels Hosting Q&A with Member of T.C. Williams State Title Team at Showing of "Remember the Titans" on Thursday