RubberDucks Shutout to End Season
Four Erie runs in the top of the sixth snapped a scoreless tie and helped the SeaWolves defeat the Akron RubberDucks, 4-0 in the 2019 season finale Monday at Canal Park.
With the game scoreless entering the top of the sixth and with Akron starter Adam Scott having not allowed a hit, Erie catcher Cole MacLaren's routing fly ball to right field was lost in the sky by Oscar Gonzalez, resulting in a double. Two batters later MacLaren scored on Jose Azocar's sacrifice fly. Erie then followed with four consecutive hits that included three doubles, the last two hits coming off reliever Jake Paulson, to extend the lead to 4-0
LHP Adam Scott held Erie hitless through five innings before running into the bad luck double that started the sixth-inning rally. He finished with a tough-luck line of 5.2 innings pitched, allowing three earned runs on three hits, walking no one and striking out seven. Jake Paulson relieved Scott in the sixth and allowed a un-scoring single followed by a run-scoring double before getting out of the inning. He followed that with scoreless innings in the seventh and eighth. Anthony Gose came in for a 1-2-3 ninth inning.
Akron had two hits on the day with Mitch Longo lining a first-inning single and Nellie Rodriguez launching a fourth-inning double to left field. The hit for Longo snapped an 0-for-19 spell over the previous five games.
Akron was shutout for the 14th time in 2019...The two hits by Akron matched the season-low, also done 4/4 vs. ALT and 7/23 at TRN...Akron finished up 30-40 at home, its first losing home season since going 32-39 in 2014...The RubberDucks 61-79 (.436) record is the second-lowest winning percentage in club history, trailing the 1997 club that went 51-91...Erie won the season series 14-3 and won all six series, including five of six games at Canal Park...Time of Game: 2:09...Attendance: 7,011.
On the Pond
The RubberDucks open the 2020 season April 9 at Binghamton and the 2020 Home Opener is Fri., April 17 at 7:05 p.m. vs. Binghamton
The RubberDucks would like to wish the Erie SeaWolves, the Detroit Tigers, and the family of Erie catcher Chace Numata the deepest condolences upon word of his passing this morning. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of them. RIP Chace.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from September 2, 2019
- Six-Run Frame Sinks Baysox, 7-1 - Bowie Baysox
- Yard Goats Rally Falls Short in 4-3 Loss - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Win Season Finale, Take Three of Four from Yard Goats - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- RubberDucks Shutout to End Season - Akron RubberDucks
- Portland Drops the '19 Finale in 10-Innings, 8-7 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Reading Fights Back, Falls in Final Tuneup, 8-7 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Thunder Win Finale on Walkoff Single - Trenton Thunder
- Squirrels Blast Three Home Runs in Season-Ending Win - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Statements on the Passing of Chace Numata - Erie SeaWolves
- Curve Close Season with 1-0 Loss at Harrisburg - Altoona Curve
- Senators Close Regular Season by Sweeping Altoona - Harrisburg Senators
- Holder, Alvarez, Gittens, Saez Take Home End of Season Awards - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs Announce 2019 Team Awards - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #140: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (31-44, 66-73) vs. Hartford Yard Goats (36-35, 73-65) - 1:05 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes September 2nd vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Baysox Clinch Playoff Berth - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- Senior Spotlight Series Rolls on at Canal Park with Two Midweek Senior Night Games August 4th & 6th
- Senior Spotlight Series Continues at Canal Park with Two More Senior Night Games Slated for July 30, 31
- Akron RubberDucks to Host "Swing for Your Swag" July 24
- Senior Spotlight to Feature Hudson and Stow-Munroe Falls/Kent Roosevelt at Canal Park July 25
- Walsh Jesuit, Massillon Washington Set to Face off at Canal Park July 18