Thunder Win Finale on Walkoff Single
After losing a ninth-inning lead with two outs, the Thunder defeated the Reading Fightin Phils in Monday's regular-season finale, 8-7, on a walkoff RBI-single by Alexander Palma in front of 5,103 fans at ARM & HAMMER Park.
With two outs in the top of the ninth inning and the Thunder leading, 7-6, Thunder (38-34, 76-62) reliever Brooks Kriske (2-2) surrendered a game-tying solo home run to Reading's Cornelius Randolph. But in the bottom half, Angel Aguilar led off with a single off Fightin Phils (41-31, 80-59) reliever Garrett Cleavinger (3-2), and after a walk by Ben Ruta, Palma laced a single to center field, scoring Aguilar from second and giving the Thunder a walkoff victory over Reading in the regular-season finale for a second straight season.
After a three-run Reading rally off Nick Green in the top of the first inning, the Thunder fought back in the bottom half. Chris Gittens drew a two-out walk ahead of a single by Kellin Deglan, and Isiah Gilliam followed with a game-tying three-run homer to left field off Fightin Phils starter Colton Eastman.
The Thunder took a 5-3 lead in the second inning on a solo homer by Aguilar and an RBI-double by Ben Ruta. After Reading came within a run in the top of the fifth on a fielding error by pitcher Albert Abreu, the Thunder re-extended their lead to 7-4 with solo home runs by Gittens and Gilliam off rehabbing Phillies right-hander Edubray Ramos.
Gilliam's multi-homer game was the third of his career and his first at Double-A, giving him a career-high 16 home runs between Trenton and Tampa. Gilliam also robbed Reading's Luke Williams of a solo home run to end the top of the seventh, preserving the three-run advantage.
Alec Bohm brought Reading within one run on a gargantuan two-run homer in the eighth off Matt Wivinis, setting the stage for the ninth-inning heroics.
Your Thunder open postseason play on Wednesday at 7 p.m. at FirstEnergy Stadium in Reading. RHP Clarke Schmidt will start for the Thunder in Game 1 of the Eastern League Division Series against Reading RHP Spencer Howard. Pregame coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on 920 AM The Jersey or online at TrentonThunder.com/Broadcast.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from September 2, 2019
- Six-Run Frame Sinks Baysox, 7-1 - Bowie Baysox
- Yard Goats Rally Falls Short in 4-3 Loss - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Win Season Finale, Take Three of Four from Yard Goats - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- RubberDucks Shutout to End Season - Akron RubberDucks
- Portland Drops the '19 Finale in 10-Innings, 8-7 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Reading Fights Back, Falls in Final Tuneup, 8-7 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Thunder Win Finale on Walkoff Single - Trenton Thunder
- Squirrels Blast Three Home Runs in Season-Ending Win - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Statements on the Passing of Chace Numata - Erie SeaWolves
- Curve Close Season with 1-0 Loss at Harrisburg - Altoona Curve
- Senators Close Regular Season by Sweeping Altoona - Harrisburg Senators
- Holder, Alvarez, Gittens, Saez Take Home End of Season Awards - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs Announce 2019 Team Awards - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #140: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (31-44, 66-73) vs. Hartford Yard Goats (36-35, 73-65) - 1:05 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes September 2nd vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Baysox Clinch Playoff Berth - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- Bobblehead Giveaways Set for 2020 Season at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Thunder Set 2020 Fireworks Schedule at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Lydia Rios Nominated for Rawlings Woman Executive of the Year Award
- River Fest Features New Food and Drink Items; Pork Roll Eating Championship Competitors Revealed
- Thunder Beat Bowie to Win League Title