Yard Goats Rally Falls Short in 4-3 Loss
Binghamton, NY - Trailing 4-1 in the seventh inning, the Hartford Yard Goats scored runs in back-to-back innings, and had a leadoff double in the ninth, before the Binghamton Rumble Ponies ended the rally, and secured a 4-3 win on Monday afternoon at NYSEG Stadium in Binghamton, New York. Bret Boswell cranked his 15th home run for the Yard Goats, who lost three of four to the Mets affiliate. It was the Yard Goats final game of the season as Hartford finished the season at 73-66, one win shy of tying a franchise record.
The Yard Goats scored the first run of the game in the second inning as Alan Trejo scored on a wild pitch from Binghamton starter and knuckleballer Mickey Jannis. The Rumble Ponies tied the game in the third inning as Andres Jimenez led off the inning with a solo home run off Hartford starter Brandon Gold, who was denied a club-record 13th win.
The Rumble Ponies scored three runs on five hits in the fourth inning to take a 4-1 lead. Luis Carpio began the rally with a leadoff homer over the left field fence to give Binghamton a 2-1 lead. After Mike Paez singled, Edgardo Fermin scored him on a double into the left field corner to make it a 3-1 game. Quinn Brodey capped the three-run frame with a double to left scoring Fermin and putting the Ponies ahead 4-1.
The Yard Goats scored a run in the seventh inning to make it a 4-2 game. Alan Trejo cracked a leadoff double and scored on a single by Scott Burcham. Hartford's Bret Boswell smashed a solo home run over the right field fence in the eighth inning to make it 4-3. Carlos Herrera opened the ninth with a leadoff double but the Yard Goats could not score him. Marcel Renteria struck out the next two batters and got a flyout to end the game.
September 2, 2019
Final: Binghamton Rumble Ponies 4, Hartford Yard Goats 3
WP: Mickey Janis (7-5)
LP: Brandon Gold (12-6)
SV: Marcel Renteria (1)
Overall Record: 73-66
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from September 2, 2019
- Six-Run Frame Sinks Baysox, 7-1 - Bowie Baysox
- Yard Goats Rally Falls Short in 4-3 Loss - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Win Season Finale, Take Three of Four from Yard Goats - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- RubberDucks Shutout to End Season - Akron RubberDucks
- Portland Drops the '19 Finale in 10-Innings, 8-7 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Reading Fights Back, Falls in Final Tuneup, 8-7 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Thunder Win Finale on Walkoff Single - Trenton Thunder
- Squirrels Blast Three Home Runs in Season-Ending Win - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Statements on the Passing of Chace Numata - Erie SeaWolves
- Curve Close Season with 1-0 Loss at Harrisburg - Altoona Curve
- Senators Close Regular Season by Sweeping Altoona - Harrisburg Senators
- Holder, Alvarez, Gittens, Saez Take Home End of Season Awards - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs Announce 2019 Team Awards - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #140: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (31-44, 66-73) vs. Hartford Yard Goats (36-35, 73-65) - 1:05 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes September 2nd vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Baysox Clinch Playoff Berth - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Yard Goats Stories
- Yard Goats Win Top Community Award from Minor League Baseball
- Hartford Yard Goats Selected to Host 2021 Eastern League All-Star Game
- Yard Goats to Once Again Host Connecticut's Largest Halloween Trick Or Treat Event
- Yard Goats Recognized for Two Major Awards by Eastern League
- Yard Goats Season Recap