Southern League MVP Corey Ray Added to Shuckers Roster
BILOXI, MS - The Biloxi Shuckers, Double-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers, announced a series of roster moves prior to their series opener against the Chattanooga Lookouts on Thursday night. 2018 Southern League MVP Corey Ray and RHP Nate Griep have both been transferred to Biloxi from Triple-A San Antonio. LHP Cameron Roegner has been activated from the injured list while C Robie Rojas has been transferred to the Rocky Mountain Vibes.
Ray comes back to Biloxi after earning Midseason and Postseason All-Star honors in the Southern League in 2018 along with winning the Southern League MVP. The Chicago, IL native appeared in 25 games at Triple-A with the San Antonio Missions in 2019, hitting .178 with two doubles, three home runs and eight RBI. Ray has landed on the injured list twice this season, missing time from April 17 to May 3 and again from May 23 until he was assigned to the AZL Brewers Gold on rehab on July 3. With the Shuckers in 2018, Ray slashed .239/.323/.477 with 32 doubles, seven triples, 27 home runs and 74 RBI's.
Griep rejoins the Shuckers after making one appearance with Triple-A San Antonio, tossing 1.2 scoreless innings on July 7 at New Orleans. This season with Biloxi, the 25-year-old is 4-1 with a 1.51 ERA in 28 games, leading the Southern League in saves with 15 in 16 opportunities. An 8th-round selection by the Brewers in 2015 out of Kansas State, Griep is the all-time saves leader in Shuckers history, recording 49 saves in 53 save opportunities.
Roegner returns to the active roster after being placed on the injured list on July 1. In seven appearances, four starts, with Biloxi, the 26-year-old Roegner is 1-3 with a 6.52 ERA. Rojas is transferred back to the Rocky Mountain Vibes roster after appearing in two games with the Shuckers in Pearl against the M-Braves, going 1-for-6 with a walk. OF Michael O'Neill and RHP Nattino Diplan have also been released by the Brewers.
The Shuckers open a six-game series hosting the Chattanooga Lookouts on Thursday night at 6:35 pm at MGM Park. The Shuckers will throw RHP Drew Rasmussen (1-2, 4.42) and the Lookouts with send RHP Tony Santillan (2-6, 5.16) to the mound. It's Margaritaville Night along with Double Play Thursday and fans can enjoy $5 margaritas and $5 cheeseburgers in paradise. $2 hot dogs, sodas, $2 Yuengling, $2 Coca-Cola products and $3 draft beer specials will also be available throughout the night. The game can be heard locally in Biloxi on Cruisin' WGCM AM 1240/100.9 FM, TuneIn Radio or the MiLB First Pitch App and can be seen on MiLB.TV. Fans can save $10 off their subscription when they use the promo code "Shuckers' at checkout.
Half-Season Shuck Nation Memberships, Flex Plans and Group Outings for the 2019 Biloxi Shuckers season are on sale now and are available for purchase by calling 228-233-3465, online at biloxishuckers.com or by visiting the MGM Park front office. The Biloxi Shuckers will host Game 1 and Game 2 of the South Division Championship Series on September 4 & 5 at MGM Park. Tickets for all six potential playoff games at MGM Park are on sale now.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 11, 2019
- Gausman Deals Quality Start in Extra-Inning Win - Mississippi Braves
- Big Inning for Biloxi Delivers Series-Opening Win - Biloxi Shuckers
- Smokies Clobber Mobile in Series Opener - Tennessee Smokies
- Biscuits Bury Wahoos, 9-2 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Six Straight: Generals Run Win Streak to Six Games with 8-4 Victory - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Drops Series Opener in 10 Innings to M-Braves - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Lookouts Collapse with 5th Inning Rally at Biloxi - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Barons Downed by Generals in Series Opener - Birmingham Barons
- Southern League MVP Corey Ray Added to Shuckers Roster - Biloxi Shuckers
- Blue Wahoos Add Two Former Big Leaguers to Roster - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Biloxi Shuckers Homestand Highlights July 11-16 - Biloxi Shuckers
- Vigil to Jacksonville, Nieto to Jupiter, Sanchez Returns - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, July 11 vs. Mississippi - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Kevin Gausman to M-Braves, Ender Inciarte to Gwinnett - Mississippi Braves
- Generals Gameday: July 11 vs. Birmingham - Jackson Generals
- Jumbo Shrimp Ranked Among MiLB's Top 25 in Licensed Merchandise Sales for Second Straight Year - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Biloxi Shuckers Stories
- Spectra Food Services Donates Stock to Harrison County Senior Living
- Start of Minor League Baseball Season Delayed
- MGM Park to Host Six Games During Battle at the Beach
- Individual Tickets on Sale Now for Shuckers Home Games
- Biloxi Shuckers Announce 2020 Promotional Schedule