Six Straight: Generals Run Win Streak to Six Games with 8-4 Victory
Jackson, Tenn. - The Jackson Generals, the Double-A affiliate of Major League Baseball's Arizona Diamondbacks, busted out for an 8-4 victory on Thursday night over the Birmingham Barons at The Ballpark at Jackson. The Generals (51-40) took the opener from the Barons (41-49) to claim their sixth consecutive win, a season-high mark.
Birmingham scored the early edge by plating two first-inning runs against Bo Takahashi, forcing him to throw 35 pitches under some unexpected pressure. Back came the Generals with a pair of their own runs, as the first five men to face Blake Battenfield all reached base. Run-scoring singles from Jamie Westbrook and Drew Ellis evened the score, and in the second inning, reigning Southern League Player of the Week Ramon Hernandez led off with a solo homer to take a 3-2 lead.
The pivotal sixth inning began with Takahashi allowing two men aboard before a strikeout and a popout ended his night. With men at first and third, reliever Miguel Aguilar (1-0, 0.59 ERA) gave up a two-run double to Laz Rivera that boosted Birmingham into the lead at 4-3. The Generals came to Aguilar's aid in the bottom half of the sixth. Back-to-back run-scoring singles from Daulton Varsho and Westbrook put the Generals back on top, with Westbrook driving in a pair or runs to take a 6-4 lead. The Generals added two more runs in the seventh after a pair of Birmingham errors helped allow Jazz Chisholm and Ramon Hernandez to score on a Mark Karaviotis two-run single.
On the night, Varsho, Westbrook, Smith and Hernandez all put up multi-hit games, with Westbrook and Karaviotis driving in multiple runs. Smith finished with a perfect 3-for-3 mark at the plate that included a triple and two walks. Hernandez scored three times, ending the night 3-for-4 with an RBI as well. Every Generals player in the lineup got a hit, and Chisholm extended his season-high hitting streak to nine games. Hernandez and Smith also increased their present hitting streaks to six games and five games, respectively, both of which equal their season-high marks. Jackson finished 5-for-16 with men in scoring position, posting five or more runs for the sixth time in ten July games. The Generals are 6-0 in those contests and 8-2 in July.
In relief of Takahashi, Aguilar closed the sixth inning and recorded a scoreless seventh, followed by run-free eighth and ninth innings from Damien Magnifico and Kevin Ginkel. Jackson's starters have not worked fewer than five innings in any outing this month.
NEXT GENERALS GAME:
6:05 pm CT Friday (7/12) vs. Birmingham Barons
The Ballpark at Jackson - Jackson, Tenn.
RHP Cole Stapler (2-0, 5.73 ERA) vs. LHP Tanner Banks (1-5, 3.27 ERA)
BROADCAST: Jackson Generals Baseball Network
UP AND COMING AT
July 11-July 17:
Generals vs. Birmingham Barons (AA, Chicago White Sox)
Sarge's Carnival (July 12-13)
and "A Christmas Story...in July!" (July 13)
For tickets and more information about the Generals, dial 731.988.5299 or log on to JacksonGeneralsBaseball.com!
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 11, 2019
- Gausman Deals Quality Start in Extra-Inning Win - Mississippi Braves
- Big Inning for Biloxi Delivers Series-Opening Win - Biloxi Shuckers
- Smokies Clobber Mobile in Series Opener - Tennessee Smokies
- Biscuits Bury Wahoos, 9-2 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Six Straight: Generals Run Win Streak to Six Games with 8-4 Victory - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Drops Series Opener in 10 Innings to M-Braves - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Lookouts Collapse with 5th Inning Rally at Biloxi - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Barons Downed by Generals in Series Opener - Birmingham Barons
- Southern League MVP Corey Ray Added to Shuckers Roster - Biloxi Shuckers
- Blue Wahoos Add Two Former Big Leaguers to Roster - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Biloxi Shuckers Homestand Highlights July 11-16 - Biloxi Shuckers
- Vigil to Jacksonville, Nieto to Jupiter, Sanchez Returns - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, July 11 vs. Mississippi - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Kevin Gausman to M-Braves, Ender Inciarte to Gwinnett - Mississippi Braves
- Generals Gameday: July 11 vs. Birmingham - Jackson Generals
- Jumbo Shrimp Ranked Among MiLB's Top 25 in Licensed Merchandise Sales for Second Straight Year - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jackson Generals Stories
- The Ballpark at Jackson Welcomes High School Baseball
- Generals Offices Closed from December 24th - January 4th
- Shadrack's Christmas Light Show Begins at the Ballpark on November 13th
- Generals Unveil Newest Economic Impact Study
- Jerry "The King" Lawler to Host 50th Anniversary Event in Jackson