Biscuits Bury Wahoos, 9-2
PENSACOLA, Fla. - After a day-and-a-half away from the game, the Biscuits (57-34) picked up right where they left off on Tuesday afternoon and beat the Pensacola Blue Wahoos (48-43), 9-2, in the series opener on Thursday night at Blue Wahoos Stadium.
Josh Fleming (7-4) got the start for the Butter and Blue and looked great, especially in the first two innings, fanning four batters. The Biscuits provided the southpaw with some initial run support in the second inning thanks to an RBI-single by Miles Mastrobuoni off Pensacola starter Bryan Sammons (2-2).
In the third, the Biscuits executed a perfect double steal attempt with Josh Lowe taking second and Thomas Milone taking home to make it a 2-0 game. Pensacola would get on the board in the bottom of the third thanks to an RBI-fielder's choice off the bat of Alex Kirilloff, which made it 2-1.
In the fourth, Mastrobuoni was back at it, stroking an RBI-triple into the right-center field gap to increase the Montgomery lead back to two. Rene Pinto then followed suit with an RBI-double into the same alley to make it a 4-1 ballgame. Travis Blankenhorn hit an RBI-groundout in the bottom of the fifth after a Caleb Hamilton throwing error at third scored the fifth run for Montgomery in the same inning.
Dalton Moats struck out the side in the eighth, and Phoenix Sanders did the same in the ninth to slam the door. This after the Biscuits put up a four-spot in the ninth thanks to RBI-singles from Josh Lowe, Tristan Gray, and Mastrobuoni, as well as an RBI-triple from Lucius Fox.
The Biscuits have now won four in a row, and seven of their last eight, and will try to keep the streak going on Friday when Riley O'Brien (4-6) takes on Randy Dobnak (4-0) at 6:35 PM CT.
The Biscuits will return to Riverwalk Stadium for the start of a four-game series against the Jackson Generals on July 18 for Tide Night featuring a T-Shirt Giveaway. The four-game homestand will also feature First Responders Night and MAX Fireworks on Friday, July 19; Man on the Moon Night featuring a Lunar Patch Giveaway and MAX Fireworks on Saturday, July 20; and Lil' Crumbs Dress Like a Player and Helmet Giveaway on Sunday, July 21.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 11, 2019
- Gausman Deals Quality Start in Extra-Inning Win - Mississippi Braves
- Big Inning for Biloxi Delivers Series-Opening Win - Biloxi Shuckers
- Smokies Clobber Mobile in Series Opener - Tennessee Smokies
- Biscuits Bury Wahoos, 9-2 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Six Straight: Generals Run Win Streak to Six Games with 8-4 Victory - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Drops Series Opener in 10 Innings to M-Braves - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Lookouts Collapse with 5th Inning Rally at Biloxi - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Barons Downed by Generals in Series Opener - Birmingham Barons
- Southern League MVP Corey Ray Added to Shuckers Roster - Biloxi Shuckers
- Blue Wahoos Add Two Former Big Leaguers to Roster - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Biloxi Shuckers Homestand Highlights July 11-16 - Biloxi Shuckers
- Vigil to Jacksonville, Nieto to Jupiter, Sanchez Returns - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, July 11 vs. Mississippi - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Kevin Gausman to M-Braves, Ender Inciarte to Gwinnett - Mississippi Braves
- Generals Gameday: July 11 vs. Birmingham - Jackson Generals
- Jumbo Shrimp Ranked Among MiLB's Top 25 in Licensed Merchandise Sales for Second Straight Year - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.