Kevin Gausman to M-Braves, Ender Inciarte to Gwinnett
JACKSONVILLE, FL - The Atlanta Braves have made the following roster move before tonight's 6:05 pm game against Jacksonville, which affects the Mississippi Braves roster. RHP Kevin Gausman's MLB rehab assignment has been transferred from High-A Florida to Mississippi. Gausman is expected to start in Thursday night's game for the M-Braves against the Jumbo Shrimp in Jacksonville. Also, OF Ender Inciarte's MLB rehab assignment has been transferred to Triple-A Gwinnett from Mississippi.
Gausman, 28, launched his rehab assignment on July 5 at High-A Florida where he pitched five innings, allowing five hits and three runs.
The Centennial, Colorado native was placed on the 10-day injured list on June 11 due to plantar fasciitis in his right foot. Before he was placed on the injured list, Gausman started 13 games this season for Atlanta where he went 2-5 with a 6.21 ERA (43 ER/62.1 IP). He has allowed 48 runs on 70 hits this season with batters hitting .285.
The Braves acquired Gausman from Baltimore last season just prior to the non-waiver trading deadline, along with RHP Darren O'Day in exchange for minor leaguers INF Jean Carlos Encarnacíon, C Brett Cumberland, RHP Evan Phillips, LHP Bruce Zimmermann and international signing slots on July 31, 2018. Gausman made ten starts for Atlanta after being acquired and went 5-3 with a 2.87 ERA (19 ER/59.2 IP). His five wins with the Braves were the most for an Atlanta pitcher acquired in-season since 2000, when Andy Ashby went 8-6 over 15 turns with Atlanta after being acquired from Philadelphia.
In 2018, the Braves starting rotation went 19-16 with a 3.13 ERA (114 ER/327.1 IP) in 58 games after adding Gausman, which was the fourth-best ERA in MLB.
Gausman went 39-51 with a 4.22 ERA (358 ER/763.2 IP) over 150 games, 127 starts, with the Orioles. He spent his entire six-year major league career with Baltimore before Atlanta acquired him.
Gausman made his MLB debut on May 23, 2013, against Toronto where he went for five innings, allowing seven hits, four earned runs, two walks, five strikeouts, and one home run. He recorded his first major league strikeout in the first inning, fanning Edwin Encarnacion.
The Baltimore Orioles drafted Gausman in the first round out of Louisiana State University. In 173 career MLB games, 150 starts, Gausman holds a career 46-59 record with a 4.27 ERA (420 ER/885.2 IP), 805 strikeouts, 272 walks, and .268 opponents' batting average.
Inciarte, 28, played in two games for the M-Braves, going 2-for-5 with a run scored and stolen base. The Tampa, Florida native was placed on the 10-day Injured List on May 15 (lumbar strain). Inciarte began his major league rehabilitation assignment on July 1 with High-A Florida on July 1.
Tonight, the M-Braves will begin a six-game series against the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp in Jacksonville. RHP Kevin Gausman will make the start against RHP Jorge Guzman (4-8, 4.18 ERA) for Jacksonville. First pitch is scheduled for 6:05 pm CT with coverage beginning at 5:50 pm CT on 103.9 WYAB, First Pitch App, TuneIn Radio App, and MiLB.tv (subscription required).
The M-Braves return to Trustmark Park for one more homestand this month, July 18-21 against the Pensacola Blue Wahoos. Visit mississippibraves.com for tickets or call 888-BRAVES4.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 11, 2019
- Gausman Deals Quality Start in Extra-Inning Win - Mississippi Braves
- Big Inning for Biloxi Delivers Series-Opening Win - Biloxi Shuckers
- Smokies Clobber Mobile in Series Opener - Tennessee Smokies
- Biscuits Bury Wahoos, 9-2 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Six Straight: Generals Run Win Streak to Six Games with 8-4 Victory - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Drops Series Opener in 10 Innings to M-Braves - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Lookouts Collapse with 5th Inning Rally at Biloxi - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Barons Downed by Generals in Series Opener - Birmingham Barons
- Southern League MVP Corey Ray Added to Shuckers Roster - Biloxi Shuckers
- Blue Wahoos Add Two Former Big Leaguers to Roster - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Biloxi Shuckers Homestand Highlights July 11-16 - Biloxi Shuckers
- Vigil to Jacksonville, Nieto to Jupiter, Sanchez Returns - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, July 11 vs. Mississippi - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Kevin Gausman to M-Braves, Ender Inciarte to Gwinnett - Mississippi Braves
- Generals Gameday: July 11 vs. Birmingham - Jackson Generals
- Jumbo Shrimp Ranked Among MiLB's Top 25 in Licensed Merchandise Sales for Second Straight Year - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mississippi Braves Stories
- M-Braves Drop Series Opener to Wahoos
- Homestand Highlights: August 18-22 vs. Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- M-Braves Blanked in Front of 5,473 Fans for Pediatric Cancer Awareness Night
- Harris' Two-Run Homer Backs Kingham in Friday Night Shutout
- Braves Promote First-Round Pick Braden Shewmake to Mississippi