Jacksonville Drops Series Opener in 10 Innings to M-Braves
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Jorge Guzman pitched six scoreless innings on Thursday, but the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp fell 3-1 in 10 innings to the Mississippi Braves in front of 4,460 fans from the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville.
With the score tied at one, Ryan Casteel started on second base for Mississippi (42-48, 9-12) in the 10th inning. Jacksonville (39-51, 10-10) reliever Tommy Eveld (1-3) then ceded a double to Greyson Jenista to put runners on second and third. Carlos Martinez notched an RBI ground out before Jenista stole home to put the Braves ahead 3-1.
Jordan Harrison (2-2) pitched two scoreless frames before ceding to Jason Creasy, who earned his second save with a scoreless bottom of the 10th.
Both teams' starting pitchers dueled for six strong innings. Guzman scattered three hits and three walks to work six shutout frames, striking out six. Mississippi starter Kevin Gausman yielded an unearned run on three hits in his six frames. He fanned three without issuing a walk.
The Jumbo Shrimp were able to break the scoreless tie in the fifth. Stone Garrett reached on an error to begin the frame before advancing to third on Corey Bird's single. Santiago Chavez's RBI ground out plated Garrett for the game's first run.
The Braves tied the score in the seventh. Pinch-hitter Daniel Lockhart was hit by a pitch to start the inning. Back-to-back singles by Cristian Pache and Drew Waters loaded the bases with no one out. Riley Unroe's sacrifice fly equalized the score at one, but Jacksonville reliever Tyler Stevens was able to get out of the jam without further damage.
Thursday's winning raffle number of 1287082011 won a prize of $206.
Jacksonville and Mississippi meet at 7:05 p.m. on Friday from the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. RHP Sixto Sanchez (3-4, 3.88 ERA) makes the start for the Jumbo Shrimp against Braves LHP Tucker Davidson (3-6, 2.04 ERA). Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on MiLB.tv, Sunny 102.3 FM, TuneIn and jaxshrimp.com.
After every Friday home game, the Jumbo Shrimp will light up the sky with NAPA AutoCare Family Fireworks. On a Red Shirt Friday, fans are encouraged to wear red to support the military and save $1 per ticket at the box office, or donate that $1 to the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund. Friday Night Lites spiced up by Tijuana Flats presented by Miller Lite and Coors Light means from 6-7:30 p.m., fans are welcome to enjoy specials for $1 12 oz. Miller Lite and Coors Light drafts, as well as $1 off all craft beer at the Craft Cave near the third-base gate. The Jumbo Shrimp will celebrate the rightful heir to the throne as he or she returns to Pride Rock with special Lion King music and games on Lion King Night.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 11, 2019
- Gausman Deals Quality Start in Extra-Inning Win - Mississippi Braves
- Big Inning for Biloxi Delivers Series-Opening Win - Biloxi Shuckers
- Smokies Clobber Mobile in Series Opener - Tennessee Smokies
- Biscuits Bury Wahoos, 9-2 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Six Straight: Generals Run Win Streak to Six Games with 8-4 Victory - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Drops Series Opener in 10 Innings to M-Braves - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Lookouts Collapse with 5th Inning Rally at Biloxi - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Barons Downed by Generals in Series Opener - Birmingham Barons
- Southern League MVP Corey Ray Added to Shuckers Roster - Biloxi Shuckers
- Blue Wahoos Add Two Former Big Leaguers to Roster - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Biloxi Shuckers Homestand Highlights July 11-16 - Biloxi Shuckers
- Vigil to Jacksonville, Nieto to Jupiter, Sanchez Returns - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, July 11 vs. Mississippi - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Kevin Gausman to M-Braves, Ender Inciarte to Gwinnett - Mississippi Braves
- Generals Gameday: July 11 vs. Birmingham - Jackson Generals
- Jumbo Shrimp Ranked Among MiLB's Top 25 in Licensed Merchandise Sales for Second Straight Year - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.