South Bay Falls to Stockton in First Game of the Season
EL SEGUNDO - In their first game of the 2018-19 season, the South Bay Lakers dropped a close game to the Stockton Kings, 106-108, on Saturday night. Isaac Bonga paced the Lakers (0-1) with 27 points, nine rebounds, three assists and two blocks, but it wasn't enough for South Bay in their home opener. Marcus Williams led the Kings (1-1) to victory with 21 points and 10 assists.
The two squads were evenly matched after the first quarter, 27-27, as Cameron Reynolds scored 10 for Stockton and Alex Caruso poured in an early 11 points for the Lakers. Stockton took a slight lead at the half, 59-54, as Williams scored 14 of his points in the second quarter.
The Kings kept their edge through three quarters, 82-77, despite seven points in the period from Moe Wagner. Bonga scored 13 points in the final frame, as the Lakers made it a one-possession game late, but the Kings held on to pick up their first win of the season.
A double-double from Williams led the way for Stockton and Reynolds pitched in off the bench with 20 points of his own. Daniel Ochefu (18 points), Wenyen Gabriel (15 points, eight rebounds) and Kalin Lucas (11 points, eight assists) all scored double figures for Stockton.
Bonga's big game kept the Lakers close while Caruso's 19 points provided a valuable scoring punch in the starting lineup. Wagner pitched in 17 points while Kadeem Jack (12 points, eight rebounds) and Scott Machado (11 points) also reached double digits for the Lakers.
The South Bay Lakers will return to the court on Monday, November 5 as they face the Kings for a rematch at 7:00 from the Stockton Arena.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 3, 2018
- Wolves Battle, Fall to Skyforce on Opening Weekend - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Windy City Falls to Grand Rapids - Windy City Bulls
- Wolves Battle, Fall to Skyforce on Opening Weekend - Iowa Wolves
- Vipers Outhustle Memphis in Home Opener - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- South Bay Falls to Stockton in First Game of the Season - South Bay Lakers
- Charge Season Opens with Defeat - Canton Charge
- Go-Go Drop First Game to Swarm in Overtime - Capital City Go-Go
- BayHawks Take Down Magic - Erie BayHawks
- Ellenson Leads Drive to Win over Bulls - Grand Rapids Drive
- Westchester Looks to First Win Streak at Long Island - Westchester Knicks
- De'Anthony Melton Assigned to NAZ Suns by Phoenix - Northern Arizona Suns
- Blue Overpowers Kings in Season Opener - Oklahoma City Blue
- Herd Drops Season Opener against Swarm - Wisconsin Herd
- Skyforce Open 30th Season with Home Win - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Windy City Tops Lakeland 96-71 in Season Opener - Windy City Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bay Lakers Stories
- South Bay Acquires Two First Round Picks
- South Bay Lakers Announce Preseason Game with Northern Arizona
- South Bay Acquires Returning Player Rights to Reggie Hearn and David Stockton
- South Bay Lakers Announce 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule
- Scott Machado Named NBA G League Player of the Month